Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 1st pressure canning

Posted by GeneTheNewGuy none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 18:29

OK I just did my very first pressure canning. I made a batch of tomato sauce. I blanched tomatoes, put them in a food processor, chopped up good, boiled them for about 45 minutes until reduced down. I also added 1 cup of onion, 1 cup of bell pepper (both finely chopped in the processor) and a couple cloves of garlic minced in the process. Put in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in each pint jar.

I think I overdid it, well I am sure I did, but I was a bit concerned after learning about botulism. I processed for 30 minutes at 10-15 pounds. (Had difficulties keeping it right at 10 pounds, never let it go below 10, it got as high as maybe 14 pounds, constantly fudging with the gas knob control up and down trying to keep it in range)

Right now it's cooling off. I have some beets I am going to do next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 1st pressure canning

I'm not sure which recipe you're referring to. The seasoned tomato sauce, which is in the BBB, does not require pressure canning, though it is certainly possible to use a PC.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here