Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hot_in_ky

Freezing Pasta Sauce

hot_in_ky
12 years ago

Hey there. My wife has found a pasta sauce that she wants to try, she actually wanted to can it but it is not an approved recipe to be canned and would not be safe. I was thinking that she could freeze it but I was not sure if that was safe either or how to go about it the best way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

No problems or safety issues with freezing. Only concern is one of quality after it thaws. Freezing of some foods breaks down the cell wall so it might be a bit more soupy depending on the ingredients and how long frozen. But you can always drain it a bit if necessary.

Dave

• hot_in_ky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for your help. Do you suggest simply freezing it in plastic freezer bags? It probably wont be frozen very long, a month or two at best depending on how much she makes. We have toddlers and eat a lot of spaghetti.

• zabby17
    12 years ago

Freezing works great for pasta sauce! You can put it in plastic freezer bags, or in containers (I re-use yogurt tubs, or buy those inexpensive Ziploc or Glad brand containers.) Don't fill the containers RIGHT up to the tippy top; leave a little bit of space---maybe a half inch---because the sauce will expand a bit as it freezes.

Good luck.

Zabby

• jjaazzy
    12 years ago

I agree with Zabby17 I freeze and even refreeze it all the time. I use Chinese soup containers or Zip lock baggies. It's all good. Make a huge batch of it and divi it up.

• michelelc
    12 years ago

I both canned and froze pasta sauce last year, and I much preferred the frozen sauce. You have much more control over what you can put into the sauce you plan to freeze, no issues with worrying about safety like canning. Digdirt (ie Dave) gave me this recipe 2 yrs ago when I was strictly freezing, and it's become my #1 recipe.
    20 tomatoes, halved and seeded
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup finely diced onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
    1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
    1 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 325. In a large roasting pan, place tomato halves, cut side up. Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bake tomatoes for 2 hrs. Check tomatoes after 1 hr and turn down heat if they seem to be cooking to fast. Then turn oven to 400 and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and process through a food mill. Discard skins. Put tomatoes in a large non-reactive pot and add white wine and bring to a boil, reduce to low head and cook to desired consistency. Freeze in containers. I also tried white wine instead of red wine, thinking red wine was more "Italian". But, the white wine gives a much better taste, in my opinion.
    Enjoy your tomatoes and post often. I have learned so much from the wealth of experience on this site!

• hot_in_ky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help. Michele, we tried your recipe (of Dave's I suppose) as well as the one we found. We like this one much better! thanks. We also decided to try the glad containers rather than freezer bags, it just sounds better to me for some reason. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz