Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrybug2

Re:Freezing Tomatoes

terrybug
10 years ago

I have read that I can freeze my tomatoes til i have enough to make salsa. Can i just chop n measure n freeze? Can i use cherry tomatoes? I have large cherry n sweet 100 n i been harvesting about a bowlful everyday, and giving away to family n nieigbor since we can"t eat that many. Can i also chop n freeze my bells n hot peppers? Would i drain before freezing or afterward? do I need to peel tomatoes? Sorry for all the question, I want to learn all i can about canning..
Also can i use a food processor to chop tomatoes n peppers?
Thank you for helping this newbie.

Terry

Comments (2)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Cherry tomatoes work just as well, you'll just have more peeling to do. Which the freezing will take care of.

Food processor will chop, but it might chop too small for what you need. You'll find that you can chop just as well with a good sharp knife.

A bowl full isn't many, unless you are trying to eat them all. Most tomatoes, cherry sized also, will keep for a few days. Don't refrigerate them, just keep them at temps between 55-70 degrees. Watch them for getting so soft, if they're not soft, they will keep for another day or so.

You can process 1 pt at a time, if you need. Just use a smaller WB pot. You will still need to process the same amount of time, but it can be done. OF course, PEPPERS need to be pressure canned.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Can i just chop n measure n freeze?

Yes.

Can i use cherry tomatoes?

Yes but it is a different consistency.

Can i also chop n freeze my bells n hot peppers?

Yes. I spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze a bit and then bag but if you pre-measure them you don't even need to do that.

Would i drain before freezing or afterward?

For salsa? Tomatoes - after thawing.

do I need to peel tomatoes?

It is recommended but is almost impossible with cherry tomatoes so many don't. Recommended because a) removes primary source of bacteria and b) gives better mouth fell and consistency without the peels. If you don't mind the bits of peel in the salsa then you can skip the peeling with cherries. As they thaw you'll find you can pick many of them right out anyway.

The most important part of making salsa is using an approved and tested recipe. If planning to can it for shelf storage, that part is mandatory for safety.

Dave

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio