Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dehydrated tomatoes to powder?

Posted by amyjean (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 18:51

I apologize in advance for what is probably a stupid question: Last year (I know, I know) I dehydrated a WHOLE BUNCH of tomatoes. However, it was my first experience with dehydrating. Hence, I ended up with the crispiest, driest, little red hockey pucks that one can imagine. Even soaking them for 24 hours in olive oil doesn't soften these puppies up. What to do?

After reading on one of these threads about "powdered tomatoes" I thought; Aha! That's what I'll do with them. Please don't tell me I can't powder them now because they're too old. I'll die. I have gallons of these and the work they represent makes me numb. (I thought I was doing the right thing and drying little, tiny things, which were more work than anything I've ever done before -washing, stemming and slicing the little beasts.) Anyway, as I said, I'll die....... So, if I CAN powder them, how would one do such a thing?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dehydrated tomatoes to powder?

Last year I powdered some of my dehydrated tomatoes in a spice grinder under they were completely powdered, then stored them in vacuum sealed containers. Now, when a recipe calls for tomato paste, I put equal parts water and tomato powder in a small dish, and it's instant tomato paste. It sounds like you have a large quantity, so powdering in a small spice grinder could be tedious. I'm no expert, but once something is completely dehydrated, I think the shelf life is pretty long and they should be OK, especially since you dehydrated them to the point of no return :)

o
RE: dehydrated tomatoes to powder?

As long as they have been shielded from dust and have remained dry with no molding then sure you can powder them. I use a coffee bean grinder. Never tried a blender but it should work.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here