Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
air bubbles in canned tomatoes: a problem?

Posted by farm_boy 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 18:52

I tried canning for the first time. I got confused and forgot one step: pressing out the air pockets. But the boiled quartered tomatoes were very liquid, so there aren't many air pockets, but I do see a few little ones. Apparently the seal is good: concave, and I can lift the jar by the lid.

There is a thin air pocket right under the lid anyway, so will a few extra little air pockets matter?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: air bubbles in canned tomatoes: a problem?

If they sealed and if they were processed per the guidelines then they will be safe. The only concern, and the reason to avoid this mistake in the future, is that air left in the jars shortens the shelf life and increases the chance for seal loss and bacterial development down the line. So they will need to be used soon.

If it has been less than 24 hours since you canned them it would be best to reprocess them. Open the jars, reheat all contents, refill clean jars, get all the air out, new lids and reprocess.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here