Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sediment in pear juice...

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 19:02

Pear Juice - too much sediment?

I make a lot of pear juice and love it. I use the Ball Blue Book recipe for apple juice. I like it best when the pears are ripe and juicy enough to be run through the sauce maker without having to soften by cooking and adding water. I always bring the strained juice up to temp and heat 5 minutes according to directions prior to canning.

My question deals with the settling and straining phase. After straining through jelly bags or cheesecloth, I let sit in the refrigerator overnight, then pour off and strain again, trying to leave behind as much sediment as possible. Despite that, I always seem to have sediment in my jars after canning.

I became concerned about the sediment after reading here that it was a source of bacteria, so this year I took extra care when straining the juice, in fact straining it multiple times with closely woven jelly bags, nut milk bags, cotton pillow case, etc. I still have sediment. How much is too much, and how much should I be concerned?

Do you have any tips or tricks to straining the juice as efficiently as possible? Recommendations for straining cloths? Would I be better off using a container that has a spigot near the bottom so I'm only drawing off the top, above the sediment? Suggestions, please!

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sediment in pear juice...

My instructions say to let the strained juice rest in the refrigerator 24-48 hours before pouring off, so I think that's one of the issues.

Dampen the bag you use before pouring in the pear pulp.

For the second straining I use a coffee filter, which seems to produce better results, but I know for jellies I still often strain three times for greater clarity.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about any remaining residue, but if you're more comfortable with it, process your juice as a puree for 15 minutes rather than as a juice for 5 (or 10). This way you could enjoy a more substantial pear nectar, which could be thinned further when the jar is opened.

Carol

o
RE: Sediment in pear juice...

Thank you. I will let the juice settle an extra day. I have been dampening the bags before straining. I tried the coffee filter for the 3rd straining, but it was useless because it clogged up so fast, even when the juice looked clear. Maybe I was just worrying too much. When I opened the jars in the past, I just left the sediment in the bottom or restrained before drinking. I don't care if the juice is as clear and thin as apple juice, I've always enjoyed pear nectar, but after reading about the bacteria in sediment I was reviewing what I was doing.

BTW...Is there a difference between a little pulp that has settled to the bottom and sediment? What would be wrong with a little pulp?

So far, I have put up about 21 quarts of juice, and still have 4 boxes of pears left. Making mincemeat now. I'll make more juice out of the pears that are really soft and juicy. I often add a quart of pear juice to a gallon of tea. We really like the taste.

Thanks again,

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here