Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Sediment in pear juice...

pqtex
11 years ago

Pear Juice - too much sediment?

I make a lot of pear juice and love it. I use the Ball Blue Book recipe for apple juice. I like it best when the pears are ripe and juicy enough to be run through the sauce maker without having to soften by cooking and adding water. I always bring the strained juice up to temp and heat 5 minutes according to directions prior to canning.

My question deals with the settling and straining phase. After straining through jelly bags or cheesecloth, I let sit in the refrigerator overnight, then pour off and strain again, trying to leave behind as much sediment as possible. Despite that, I always seem to have sediment in my jars after canning.

I became concerned about the sediment after reading here that it was a source of bacteria, so this year I took extra care when straining the juice, in fact straining it multiple times with closely woven jelly bags, nut milk bags, cotton pillow case, etc. I still have sediment. How much is too much, and how much should I be concerned?

Do you have any tips or tricks to straining the juice as efficiently as possible? Recommendations for straining cloths? Would I be better off using a container that has a spigot near the bottom so I'm only drawing off the top, above the sediment? Suggestions, please!

Jill

Comments (2)