Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions in canning- help

Posted by katrinalynn none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 19:05

I am new to the canning world and following recipes exaclty as I'm scared to death of food poisening my family. My family does not eat onions. Period. Can I omit onions without altering the ph balance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions in canning- help

Yes. If it alters the pH it will be in the "good" direction, not the bad. Just don't substitute something else.

Carol

o

Yeah! Thank you Carol. When you say "good" direction, does that mean towards 3.0 on the acid scale? I'm reading the USDA Guide 1 and looking at the acid picture and trying to understand the science of leaving the onions out.

o

The "good" direction in canning terms is towards greater acidity. The farther below the 4.6pH point something is the lower the risk because harmful organisms do not like acid.

The "line" for boiling water bath (i.e. high acid) canned goods is 4.6pH, though tested recipes tend to fall at 4.3pH or below to allow a safe margin.

An onion is in the range of 5.3-5.8pH, so clearly removing that makes a recipe more acid, thereby lowering any potential risk.

Having said that, even onions can be pickled. Very low-acid veggies like asparagus, onions, beans when placed in a 100% vinegar solution will not present the risk of a plain vegetable.

I hope that is clear. Happy canning,
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here