Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning My Canner

Posted by aneangel22 Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 19:08

What can I use to clean the inside of the canner I just bought? It looks like it has a lot of lime deposits and build up and I don't want to use the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning My Canner

Did your canner come with an instruction manual? Mine has cleaning instructions.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 23:10

You can try cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons per quart of water. Mix it into your canner, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. rinse and see if that helped.

Or, make a paste of cream of tartar and a little water and scrub with it. Rinse.

o

What can I use to clean the inside of the canner I just bought? It looks like it has a lot of lime deposits and build up and I don't want to use the wrong thing.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

How did that happen so fast ?( lime deposit ?) You must have a very hard water.

You just use it to boil water in it. You are not cooking anything in it , are you ?

There are various lime cleaner products (for faucets, bathroom ..etc) that you can use. Vinegar can work too.

o

You can use vinegar or citric acid to dissolve the mineral deposits. Both are food safe. The cream of tartar works, too, but I've found it removes the discoloration more than the lime (I have really hard water). Aluminum does discolor, so don't be discouraged if the staining doesn't disappear entirely. I have Mom's old Presto pressure cooker (circa 1946) that's rather dark inside, but I know it's clean :-)

o

Thanks for all the tips!!!

And I guess I should've clarified that I bought a used canner. I just want to clean it up before I use it....IF I ever get to. I'm having trouble finding a counterweight and I still have to take it the extension office. I found out that it's considered "vintage" so I might have just wasted my money :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here