Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with green beans too big for eating?

Posted by NilaJones 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 19:13

Hello folks :). This looks like an awesome forum, full of ideas!

I let some of my pole beans go too long. They are edible, but a bit tough and mealy. Still green, but with pretty-mature seeds inside. Way more than I want for seed-saving.

Any ideas about what I should do with them? Do you think they would make a good stock?

The one time I tried to pickle something (preserved lemons) they got all moldy, so I hesitate to try that...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with green beans too big for eating?

Those are what we used to call 'shelly beans'. shell them, like you would English peas and add some in with the regular-sized green beans.

o

Many southerners grow them that way intentionally for shelling beans. Shellies boiled with a bit of bacon and onion. Delicious!! Not too shabby with a bit of butter and garlic either. :)

Dave

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 11:25

Ditto the shellies. Try a bit of chopped tomato from your garden along with the bacon and onion.

o

Well, I had no idea! Thanks, folks! I will try them tonight :).

o

We let them go a lo-o-o-ng time and then can them like any other dried bean. Actually, these and horticultural beans are my husband's favorite. (He hates "regular" green beans - only me and my BIL eat those.)

Carol

o

I didn't have bacon, so I did them up with olive oil and garlic. Plus two tiny cherry tomatoes, all I have yet, so I could see what the combo was like :).

I felt they needed a little something, so I added a tablespoon of lamb and onion with middle eastern spices, last of a bag in the freezer.

ZOMG, delicious!

Thank you folks so much. I love these :).

o

WTG! another convert to shellies. Lots of recipes for them Nila as they lend themselves to all sorts of seasonings and cooking methods. Try them with a tbls. of sugar and a couple of tbls. of vinegar mixed in for a sweet n' sour taste.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: article about shellie beans with recipes

o

Thanks, Dave :).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here