Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with two overgrown pickling cucumbers?

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 19:30

First time growing cucumbers and I just picked two very light green overgrown cucumbers. They were hiding! Do you have a recipe that makes use of them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with two overgrown pickling cucumbers?

Make relish out of them. That is the best use for any of the large hidden monsters, the large yellow ones, etc. We all find the hidden monsters now and then. :)

Dave

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 19:40

We like them sliced with/without tomatoes and onions and any kind of Kraft or other variety vinegarette dressing.

If they are too seedy, we scoop out the seeds and still slice them.

My granddaughter will sometime have this for lunch.

Val

o

I will remove the seeds if they are really large. I make a simple syrup of half sugar, half water. Then add rice vinegar to taste. Add a little salt. I now use Splenda instead of sugar, though. Still tastes great. Then, you add some grated carrot. This is a Thai cucumber salad. You can add some diced red onion , too, if you want.

o

I think I will make salad with them since my SO dislikes relish. The thai salad sounds great actually. :-) Thanks so much everyone!

o

Cinnamon pickles (faux apple rings) are another option.
They sell these at a Christmas Bazaar I attend each year and they fly off the shelf. They do them in bright red and green (separate jars).
I'm not much for sweet pickles, but they do make a nice addtional to a relish tray.

Deanna

o

Just want to report back what I did with those cucumbers. I peeled both of them and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Removed all the seeds since they were hard and bitter, then I sliced them into thin slices. To that, I added salt, sugar, chinese rice vinegar, sesame oil and a few drops of fish sauce. Mix nicely and it is ready to eat right away!

The cucumbers were very juicy but they definitely started to develop some bite to it. But with the dressing they are absolutely delicious.

o

Does sound VERY good! Glad it turned out well for you.

since my SO dislikes relish

Tell SO there are many wonderful relishes out there. I can't imagine going through life without 6 or 8 different relish condiments to choose from. They make just about everything better. :)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here