Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemadecountrylife

I Was Sent The Wrong Pressure Canner So...

I ordered a Presto 22 Quart canner through Amazon from a 3rd party. But they sent me the Presto 23 quart canner in stead of the 22 quart one. In real life it looks suspiciously "flimsy" to me. Should I call to have them replace it or ask for the monetary difference?

Does anyone have either canner and give me an opinion on which they prefer and if they like the Presto 23 quart? I don't know what to do.

~ Amanda

Comments (28)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

The Presto canner is light, especially compared to the All-American, so that doesn't sound out of order and I don't think you'd note any difference with the 22-quart.

The advantage of the lighter weight (aside from the reduced weight on the stovetop and for you maneuvering it) is that a lighter vessel heats more quickly and cools down more quickly.

The downside is greater sensitivity to excessive heat. This is particularly an issue with high-BTU gas ranges and propane burners. The manual is very explicit about the limit for use.

You might contact the seller to apprise them of the difference in model. Perhaps they'll adjust the price. However, if they charge return shipping, I certainly wouldn't bother.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I wasn't aware that the 22 qt. was even offered for sale any longer or that it had been for years. Was this new or used? The 23 qt. model has been the norm for many years now since the 22 qt went out of production years ago. It is far more likely that there was a size typo on the one you ordered and it should have read 23 qt.

Who specifically did you order from? Amazon is quite good at fixing things but you always want to make sure the company selling as a third party knows what they are talking about. The only 22 qt. one I find listed at amazon is offered by a company called J&R Music and Computer World so they likely have no knowledge of pressure canners.

IMO you are much better off with the 23 qt. anyway but I have never found them to be "flimsy" in any way. What are you comparing it to? Is it possible you got some sort of knock off or copy? If you have a Walmart nearby they offer them for sale in a couple of models - 16 qt. and 23 qt and you could compare the appearance and structure with the one you received.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You Carol and Dave.

Carol, all of the pros and cons make sense and is good to know. I will keep that in mind. I would like to call the company and ask them to make up the difference in the prices between theirs and Amazon's. I just bought the 22 quart because it looked so much sturdier and "thicker" if that makes sense.

Dave, I ordered it from Amazon but they were the "middleman", and you're right, I bought it from J&R Music, essentially, though. When I look at the 22, it looks sturdier, and better quality. I know that does not tell me how well it operates, but it looks like it's a better built canner. And even though they are made from the same company, the one looks like a newer model, too. I have been waiting 4 almost 5 years for one, and I want the best one I can afford at this time. In my heart of hearts, I want an All American like you wouldn't believe, but I can live with a Presto as long as it is a good canner for my money. I once saw a Mirro at our Walmart, but I have not seen a Presto canner at all. The Walmart's really only sell few different sized canning jars, in our area.
    Do you think Amazon or J&R Music will refund the difference if I kept the canner? I'm not out for the money, because I obviously Paid for the more expensive one because that was the one I wanted. But if they are sending me the Cheaper one (not the one I paid for) and keeping the difference back, do you think they will honor that request?

~ Amanda

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Do you think Amazon or J&R Music will refund the difference if I kept the canner? I'm not out for the money, because I obviously Paid for the more expensive one because that was the one I wanted. But if they are sending me the Cheaper one (not the one I paid for) and keeping the difference back, do you think they will honor that request?

First, I'm not sure what you mean by cheaper and more expensive? What are you comparing it to? Other sellers at amazon? There are at least 15 different prices there for the same canner. And how are you determining one looks more sturdy? The pictures? They are of the exact same canner.

As I said above the 22 qt. has not been manufactured for many years so the odds are they never had an actual 22 qt. to begin with they just typed it wrong or didn't know what they were talking about (which is very likely given the company name). But the 22 qt. and the 23 qt. were/are the same basic canner.

There are any number of sources for a Presto and several for sale on amazon. Amazon has them for 15 dollars cheaper (74.97) than what you paid the music store for the exact same canner. I think some more pricing research is needed.

If you aren't happy with it then just return it for a full refund and order from someone else. Much easier than trying to hassle out a partial refund from a 3rd party suspicious seller.

But there is nothing wrong with the Presto 23 qt. canner - hundreds of us use them and have for decades. My only concern is the company you bought it from as they have no business selling pressure canners so that makes them suspicious.

As to All Americans - don't buy into all the hype. I have one of those also and much prefer using the Presto.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"There are any number of sources for a Presto and several for sale on amazon. Amazon has them for 15 dollars cheaper (74.97) than what you paid the music store for the exact same canner. I think some more pricing research is needed. "

That is exactly the one I am talking about, the $74.97 canner. You are probably right about it all being a typo. If that's the case, I could have went with the cheaper one on Amazon. Grrrr!

What I mean by the 22 Quart being sturdier looking is my camparison of the 22 quart and the 23 quart Prestos being sold on Amazon. One from Amazon it self and the other is from J&R Music. When you look at them both, closely, I think they look different. One looks thicker and less flimsy then the other. That is what I meant, by my statement.

I am glad you mentioned that the AA is not really all the hype it is made out to be, I kinda feel better about that. But I frankly wished I had bought it from Amazon. I'd have saved $15 dollars. Ugh, I am so upset with this situation.I'm out the extra money for the same exact canner :(

~ Amanda

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Then just return it, tell them it "wasn't as advertised" and order the one sold directly by amazon. That's what I would do.

That way you aren't out any money....unless you'd have to pay for return shipping. If so you have to decide if the $ difference is worth it. If not, write it off as a lesson learned to next time by only from a reputable dealer.

I see no real difference in the pics. But then I am used to working with several different canners and no from personal experience there is no difference. But even if there was, they can copy a picture from anywhere and put it on an ad. It is a common practice online.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea, Dave, I think I'll do just that, if they will pay for the return shipping. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see what they say.
    Thank you for your insight and opinion, I appreciate it.

Off to watch the Olympic ceremony.
    ~ Amanda

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I don't believe there is a significant difference in the weight and thickness of the two vessels. AFAIK, all Prestos are the same, just varying dimensions.

I have two Prestos, an enamel 12-quart (long discontinued) and a 23-quart. It was a replacement for my original 23-quart, which I used for 30 years.

I also have an All-American. I differ from Dave in that I prefer my All-American. However, I still consider the Presto 23-quart the best buy by far. Properly cared for it will last you many years.

However, that being said, if something doesn't sit right with you, then you should return it and as Dave said, chalk it up to experience.

Carol

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I called J&R Music World and let me tell you, the customer service is absolutely amazing. They looked up the two canners on Amazon's website and immediately offered the $15 monetary difference and an apology. The customer service operator even mentioned that she would have someone try to amend the info on Amazon so everyone knows the true specs on the canner.
    Needless to say I am very happy with the customer service and the 23 quart has grown on me.

Thank you for all of your help and now, the next thing for me to do is start doing test runs, like you mentioned, Carol. I have yet to purchase the extra rubber ring and the suggested pressure regulator.

~ Amanda

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good. Glad you got it resolved to your satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong. I like my AA and I do use it as I often have at least 2 PCs going at the same time (and I use my old Mirro when more are needed) but it does have issues just as they all do.

But I find the prices for them to be FAR out of line for what you need the pressure canner to do and much of the hype about them is used to try to justify that price.

The Presto 23 quart readily does any and everything the average home canner needs a PC for and does them safely and well with minimal effort. There are lots of Presto canners out there that have been in heavy use for many decades - including mine. :)

Dave

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Can you see if it is American made or made in china?
    Btw Amazon customer service is superb IMHO.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I was fortunate enough to find a special deal on Amazon for my 21-quart All-American, $109.00. I wish now I'd bought a couple because I'll never see that price again. But if it hadn't been for the extraodinary price break, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I do agree dollar-for-dollar the Presto is amazing value.

Properly cared for both the Presto and All-American will last past your generation and into the next one. My husband's niece is now using my MIL's 1947-ish All-American.

Carol

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there any specific maintenance I need to do to keep mine in peak operating order, other then have the gauge calibrated every spring? I want to make sure mine lasts for years.

~ Amanda

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

The manual covers most of the how to maintain info. And if you buy the 3 piece weight set you don't need to have the gauge checked.

Otherwise, don't keep the lid locked down during storage. It puts pressure on the gasket. Add a couple of T of vinegar to the water when using it to help prevent interior staining. And avoid exposure to excessively hign BTUs if using gas heating 12,000 BTU's max.

Dave

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Dave, Didn't you say you can on a porch? What is your heat source?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

This burner. 3 independent burner rings and infinite adjustability.

Hope to be getting the double burner model for next year.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Propane burner

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Hi Jim, How adjustable down is that unit? I mean how evenly or smoothly does it adjust from a lot of heat down to a lesser amount?
    It looks awesome.
    What do you sit it on, I assume it doesn't come with a stand?
    I think I will start checking our craigslist.
    I have a Coleman gas stove and a propane stove that might work. Well maybe not,a loaded heavy canner might be too heavy.
    Thanks
    Gene

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I have only done BWB canning this year because I don't want to use my pressure cooker on my glass cook top so I am looking for another place to can. I have another building I can use so I am not heating the house, but didn't know what type of stove would be best to use. I am thinking that I probably already have one. I have one electric option, but also have a few propane options. I have a grill burner, turkey fryer burner, and a portable camp stove, but I am thinking that the one shown below is the best option.

I don't know if mine is Camp Chef, but it probably is because it looks just like this one except it has a small table mounted to the end of it. The wind screen just slips off so a larger pan would fit. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stove

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I'm a rookie at home canning, but I do know a little bit about camping and wilderness cooking. That looks like a mighty fine stove. Do you live near a Cabelas? Or an Academy Sporting Goods or Dicks Sporting Goods? Bass Pro Shop too. Pretty much any outdoor sporting goods store will have a similar one in stock, it would be nice to go in and see it in person. Give it a push and shove and lean on test and see how sturdy it is.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

It would be a really good idea, before purchasing, to measure from the center of the burner to the back wall and verify that your canner will be able to sit centered over the burner without touching or crowding the back wall, or the side wall.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Gene, I already have the stove, but it is inside a carrier and packed away at the moment. The wind screen that you are calling a back wall is just 3 hinged pieces of metal that lift off and fold up, so you just have a flat top. I bought it in Utah at a place called Miller Ski, a number of years ago.

I live in the foothills of the Ozarks and we are prone to ice storms. We have a small bunkhouse on our property that has a bedroom, living room, bathroom, and a small area to cook in, but it doesn't have a stove. It has a toaster oven, hot plate, crock pot, etc. that are electric, but it also has a natural gas wall heater, and hot water heater. When we have an ice storm that takes out our electricity, we just close up our house and move to the bunkhouse and live in relative comfort until the power comes back on. We re-charge our refrigerators and freezer with the generator so the food doesn't spoil.

We bring in the propane stove and we are set to cook for ourselves and sometimes the neighbors. Although we don't camp anymore, we still find many uses for that stove. One summer the power went off just as I started to cook dinner for 12. We moved to the yard and set up the dutch ovens over charcoal, and pulled out the stove and a big pot and used it to cook corn on the cob. So that stove has been worth every penny we paid for it just for emergency use. Funny thing is that it cost more then than it does now. Probably because ours has a little tray table on the end.

I'm not in love with my pressure canner so I have been reading this thread and wondering if I should buy a new one. I have more than one BWB canner, but only one pressure canner and it is shallow and not good for anything else.

The thermostat for my house is near the kitchen and by the time I turn the ceiling fan on and set the temp low enough to overcome the heat being generated in the kitchen, and keep myself cool, you could hang meat in the rest of the house. I have always thought it would be nice to have a summer kitchen like they did on the plantations. I will never have that, but I think I do have another option for canning.

• malna
    11 years ago

I have a similar Camp Chef stove. I use it all summer for canning and it works great both for BWB and pressure canning. I did get an adjustable regulator for mine - it has a knob at the tank to adjust the gas flow up or down. The stove controls are not as finely controllable as I need for pressure canning.

It is very sturdy and large enough to hold my BWB and my All American 925 PC at the same time.

I use the side burner on the gas grill to heat lids or brine - stuff like that. I don't even think about canning inside the house anymore (no air conditioning).

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Just nothing more than 12,000 BTUs for canning according to Presto.

I did not think they had a 22 qt. size any more. Just the 23qt size. They both seem to be the same other than the handles. I have one of each.
    They are made in China.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Actually the 12,000 BTU statement was what I had seen here that was making me hesitate to that stove.

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

I use a 15,000 BTU propane burner and just turn it down to the level I need like I would on any other gas burner.
    Jim in So Calif

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Exactly what Jim said. You just turn the burner down.

Just because a burner has 30,000 BTU capability of such doesn't mean you use it at full power. :) At most you'd normally use no more than 6-8,0000 max. That is why the ability to regulate/control the flame on which ever burner you buy is so important and why so many of the turkey fryers won't work because they lack the adjustibility.

The one I linked above is 35,000 but with 3 separate burners in it and 3 sets of controls you can easily adjust it. I have never used more than one ring on it and never more than half open even.

Dave

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think next years canning will be moved out of the house. The other area is air conditioned, but I don't run it full time, so when I don't need to be in there any longer, I can turn off the air instead of trying to overcome the heat from canning. I think I already have everything I need.

We are at 107 today and for 10 days out our forecast is 101-109 so I think my garden is finished. I have kept some things alive but only peppers are producing at the moment. It is time to start Fall crops, but not cool enough.

I have 2 bushels of apples to do which will become Apple Pie Jam and apple pie filling, but mostly will be dehydrated, I think. After those are done, I plan to do Hab Gold Jam and call it a year. I have already canned much more than I expected to.

Dave, I'll probably still do those mushrooms, but I can get them all year so I'll wait for cooler weather.

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

Wanted to chime in about the music store selling PC's on Amazon. There is nothing to worry about, they are only the seller on paper. I bought my dehydrator from a camera store via Amazon. But the product was sent directly from the manufacturer to Amazon and the order was fulfilled by Amazon. The camera store technically was the 'seller'. I think Amazon has these types of relationships with sellers so that they still get a cut of the profits without having to risk having inventory on their books that may not sell. Win-win for everybody.