Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_grandma

Any great recipes for Harsch Crock Dill Pickles ?

green_grandma
11 years ago

Enough of my dill and cukes are now maturing that I can fill a 7.5 liter Harsch crock to make a batch of pickles. Last year I tried the Harsch recipe, but the pickles came out a bit mushy and a bit bland.

Does anybody have a particularly good recipe for lacto-fermented dill pickles ?

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Don't care for the Harsch crocks personally. Much prefer fermenting in other containers so there is no mold skimming etc. required.

Have you tried the NCHFP recipe? http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html

Plus using Pickle Crisp keeps them more crispy.

A search here for 'fermented pickles' pulls up all sorts of previous discussions with both tips and recipes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermented pickles discussions

• cannond
    11 years ago

Green Grandma, Linda Ziedrich's brilliant Joy of Pickling has some marvelous recipes for fermenting pickles and other vegetables.

Here's my experience. You can add chilies (dried or fresh), garlic, dill, shallots, in larger amounts than the Harsch recipe calls for, really intensifying the flavors. You can also ferment for shorter periods creating half-sours that are crispier. Linda and others suggest oak or grape leaves to keep the cucumbers crisp.

Still, I think they stay crispest refrigerated shortly after they've achieved the sourness I like. The probiotics are still present as long as they aren't heat processed.

I really like my Harsch crocks. In fact, in the four years I've had them I've fermented cucumbers, dilled carrots and mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and onions) and I've never once had to skim them for mold or kalm. The purpose of the stones and water channel is to defeat the organisms that cause spoilage and molds, and it works remarkably well.

Incidentally, I just got the Complete Idiot's Guide to Fermenting; so many fascinating recipes and techniques. Have you seen it?

• green_grandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DigDirt - yes I have used 5%+ vinegar based pickle recipes similar to NCHFP for years. However, I was looking for a lacto-fermentation based recipe which doesn't rely on vinegar to create an extremely low pH environment ( and taste )

I'm also a bit scared to use Pickle Crisp ( calcium chloride ) or Lime or any of the other 'crisping' additives to a lacto-fermented recipe since they all tend to increase the pH. That's not a problem when the recipe contains a ton of vinegar, but could be a potential food safety problem where the recipe depends on slow formation of lactic acid.

Cannond - I have the original ( 1998 ? ) version of Joy of Pickling, but it also contains mostly vinegar based pickle recipes and barely touched on lacto-fermentation. Does the updated version have more lacto-fermentation oriented stuff ?

As to Harsch Crocks, I've used them very successfully for years, making everything from vinegar based pickles to lacto-fermented sauerkraut to pickled beets. Same experience as Cannond, apparently, that as long as you thoroughly sterilize the crock and stones before packing, and as long as you maintain water level in the trough, you won't experience any issues with floating 'scum' removal.

I'll take your advice and modify the Harsch recipe with extra dill, extra shallots, some grape leaves, and a hot pepper or two ( all of which I have available fresh ).

Thanks

• cannond
    11 years ago

Green Grandma, I don't have the original version so I can't compare. This latest version has two chapters that deal with fermentation; one called Fermented Pickles and the other is Sauerkraut, Kimchi, and Other Cabbage Pickles. This second one contains both brined and vinegared recipes.

If it's any help, here is one of her recipes.

Mustardy Dill Pickles
    Makes about 3 quarts

1 handful grape or sour cherry leaves
    About 4 pounds 3 to 5 inch pickling cucumbers, blossom ends removed
    Leafy tops of 4 celery stalks
    1 large onion sliced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh horseradish
    1/4 cup whole yellow mustard seeds
    4 to 6 dill heads
    6 Tablespoons pickling salt
    2 quarts water

Lay half the leaves in the bottom of a gallon jar. Layer the cucumbers in the jar with the celery tops, onion, horseradish, mustard seed and dill. Dissolve the salt in water and pour over the cucumbers to cover them. Spread the remaining leaves on top.

At this point, of course, you know what to do with the Harsch. She says fermentation bubbling should start within three days and the pickles should be ready in two to three weeks. (check them after two). She then suggests refrigerating them or processing.

And by the way, I stand corrected: She says half-sours aren't prematurely taken from the brine. They are cured quickly in a low-salt brine, which hastens the fermentation so the pickles never get very sour and shouldn't be processed. (they're ready in a week)

I envy you the sauerkraut. I'll be attempting it for the first time this fall if I can keep the cabbage worms off my plants. I've heard it's hard to make since the kraut must be cut very uniformly to give it the right texture. I sure hope that kraut board I bought at the antique shop works.

Finally, if you aren't too busy, could you share your fermented beets recipe with me? I'd really like to try that. Thanks.