Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msfuzz

Questions on large batches of jam

msfuzz
13 years ago

I am planning on doing a couple of fairly large batches of blackberry & raspberry jam in the next few weeks, and I have a few questions. I tried searching the forums for answers, but I think my Googlefu was weak, because I didn't see anything specific in the first couple of pages.

1. Most the BBB recipes are for 8 oz jars. What changes if you use 12 oz jars? Just the processing time? How much does it change?

2. I have a 16 qt Presto PC, and everything I've seen says that for BWB, you should cover the jars with at least 1" of water. I know my PC isn't deep enough to do that with 12 oz jars. Can I still BWB the 12 oz jars in it? I thought somewhere I'd read that as long as the water was within 1" of the top or something?

3. If I can't use 12 oz jars in this canner, and have to use 8 oz jars, I can only get about 10 jars max (maybe 12 if there doesn't have to be room between them?) in at a time. Can I fill all the jars (let's just say it will be 30, for these purposes), and process them 10 at a time? I have to process for 20 mins here, so that's at least 25 mins between batches. At least 10 of the jars will have cooled for almost an hour before they get processed if I do it that way. Is this a bad idea?

According to the BBB, a double batch of the regular jam with powdered pectin would make about 14 8 oz jars. I have 4 such double-batches to make. Just trying to find the most time efficient, but still safe, way to do it. :) Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

1. As a general rule - you can always go smaller on jars but not larger. With smaller jars you use the same processing time. With larger jars you'd have no way to know the processing time. With jams this may not be as important a guideline as with low-acid foods but still a good general rule to stick with.

2. That is the problem with the 16 qt. - not being able to use it as a BWB. Even with pints it tends to boil over. Got a deeper stockpot you can use? It is 1-2" MINIMUM on top of the jars so no 12 oz. jars, sorry.

3. It sounds as if you are going to try to double or triple a recipe? That isn't generally recommended because of the jelling problems it creates. Which type of pectin will you be using? With Pomona pectin you can get away with it but with powdered there are often problems with set.

4. Can I fill all the jars (let's just say it will be 30, for these purposes), and process them 10 at a time? I have to process for 20 mins here, so that's at least 25 mins between batches. At least 10 of the jars will have cooled for almost an hour before they get processed if I do it that way. Is this a bad idea?

Yes, that is a bad idea. Sorry. The jars will have cooled far too much. Thermal shock, breakage, and jel break could be a real problem for you. Just fill what you can process. Then reheat the jam for the next batch and fill them. Again, a deeper pot would be of great help to you or better yet, just do one batch of jam at a time for best overall results.

Dave

• msfuzz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response, Dave. Your answers were much what I expected (though not what I hoped for...lol).

I do have a deeper stockpot, but no rack to put in the bottom.

I have made one other "double batch" of cherry jam from the BBB, and used SureJell No Sugar Added pectin with good result. I have Pomona however, and planned to use it with these batches.

Looks like I'll just be making at least 4 batches of jam. If not 8. lol Dang. Glad I waited for vacation to take on this project!

• readinglady
    13 years ago

With Pomona you can multiply the batch to whatever level is comfortable for you. The doubling rule doesn't apply.

You can process the 12-oz. jars, adding 5 minutes. As Dave said, there isn't really a risk because it's a high-acid product.

A stockpot can be used, even without a rack. You can put a towel or a silpat (if you have one) on the bottom of the kettle. Anything to keep the jars from touching the bottom. A towel is messy, but it will do the job. A cake rack or steamer rack inserted into a pan of suitable size will also work. Take a look around your kitchen and see if there's something you can put together.

Carol

• calliope
    13 years ago

Good and correct answers and knowing this beforehand will save you time in the long run ultimately. Any container deep enough to give the proper headspace can be used as a BWB canner. You may as well just give up and get a big canner or stockpot, because once you get hooked on the berry jam and jelly making you will do it again.........and again.....and again. Try a thrift shop or ask around if you know some older people who probably canned at one time and may have good equipment in their basement just sitting.

• msfuzz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the further advice. Carol, you said to add 5 minutes processing time. Base time is 10 mins. I have to add 10 mins for altitude. So does this mean total time is 25 mins? Or do I have to again add the extra 10 mins for altitude, making the total 35 mins? Sorry if that's confusing, I just want to be sure.

I've also heard of people taking old lid rings, zip-tying them together, and putting them in the bottom of the pot. I'll be doing some poking around here & on Craigs List the next few days and see what interesting things I can find.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

In sterilized jars base time is actually 5 minutes. 10 minutes is for hot clean jars.

Personally I think 25 minutes at altitude is more than sufficient. Jams are essentially risk-free in terms of food safety, which is why many Europeans don't process at all and are entirely confident of the results.

The processing time for these products is to increase shelf life and minimize the risk of mold. With these considerations, I don't see any reason to increase time beyond the 25 minutes.

Carol

• msfuzz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the clarification! My jars are just hot clean, as my crappy dishwasher doesn't sterilize, and I'm too lazy to do it the old fashioned way. :D

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Even if you didn't have a "crappy dishwasher", generally dishwashers in the home don't reach temperatures high enough to sterilize.

But as you can see, it isn't worth worrying about anyway.

Carol

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

In a pinch, you can put an old dish towel in the bottom of your stockpot, or smash a cheap pie tin, or bunch up some foil, or use a cake cooling rack that fits. Anything to keep the jars from making direct contact.
    I've done them all! All worked just fine. Just make sure if you use a pie tin or foil, to punch some holes in it to allow the steam bubbles to escape or it will want to float and tip your jars over. Yep, done that too!

Deanna

• msfuzz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the warning, Deanna!! I'll definately keep that in mind. We have a TON of those cheap, foot-square, terrycloth bar towels that we use for everything, so I'll probably just go with that. Amazon had a pretty good deal today on the Presto 23q for $79, so I may just bite the bullet, order that, then sell the other one on CraigsList or something.

• mellyofthesouth
    13 years ago

I bought a big inexpensive 20 qt stockpot at target this year. I needed something magnetic that would work on my induction cooktop. The rack from the 23 qt presto canner fits it perfectly and quarts will fit an inch of water over and about an inch left in the pot. So yes, some water splashed out but it wasn't out of control.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon sale! After loving my dried beans so much last week, I decided I hat to get a bigger canner. Now you gave me the perfect excuse!

• SammysJams
    11 years ago

For canning large batches, is there a better way than putting the jam into clean jars one ladle at a time?? I guess i could get a bigger ladle, but was hoping someone else has a better idea.

Thanks!
    Sammy's Jams

Here is a link that might be useful: Sammy's Jams

• readinglady
    11 years ago

As long as the batch isn't too large and unwieldy, you can place the rim of the pan just above the rim of the jar and pour it in.

However, you do have to be careful. Pouring from too high an angle will aerate the preserve. This is especially a problem with pepper jams where the bubbles will result in a cloudy final product.

Carol

• weedlady
    11 years ago

RE the use of added pectin... in my experience one does not need to add pectin to blackberries or raspberries to have them jell nicely as long as you use some slightly under-ripe berries in the mix. (Don't ask me the ratio--I just pick every colored-up berry that will release from the stem with a modicum of effort!) Downside is you need to cook the jam down long enough for it to reach the jellying stage, so you necessarily use more energy (gas or electric) that way.
    Just sayin'.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

You'd have to be careful, but dipping a sterlized Pyrex measuring cup into the pot might work - my ladle isn't quite half a cup, but you can fill a 1C glass measure (and still use a funnel) until you get down to the bottom of the pot.

• oliveoyl3
    9 years ago

My dad taught me to use the 2 cup glass measuring cup & just eyeball the fullness of the jars. When I was canning on my own I bought the ball kit & learned how to use the funnel to keep the jar cleaner, but sure wish it was a clear funnel so I could watch headspace as filling. Plus the jam does tend to drip off the measuring cup bottom when I've dipped into the kettle. Ladle into the measuring cup for less drip, but takes more time.

Love the idea of using the 1 cup mark as a measure to fill jam & then pour into the 1/2 pint jar. Will do that next time.

This year I've canned in 2 kettles with a batch in each at the same time. I didn't even think of making a larger batch all in one kettle, but will consider it for our next canning day.

My husband was a big help to wash dishes, stir when needed, & clean up at the end. I found it saved a lot of time doing 2 batches alongside each other. I have lent my BWB canning kettles out, so very helpful to have hubby quickly wash my jam kettles, then fill with hot water to do BWB of the jams. I sure missed the BWB canners, though because that speeds up the process even if it fills the stove.

The 2nd canning day I had my elementary age neighbor kids as helpers since they showed up when I had just turned on the kettles. They learned a bit, measured ingredients & listened well when I told them they could no longer stir because the jam was too hot. They were eager to taste everything when the jars were all filled.