Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers

naturenut_ohio
14 years ago

I just picked 6 heads of cabbage and many peppers and wanted to make cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers and then freeze them.. This is my first year trying to store for winter and I was curious how to freeze both of these? Should I bake them sauce and all start to finish then freeze or leave the sauce off the top or what??

Thanks all,

Amy

Comments (10)

• malna
    14 years ago

I freeze a lot of stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers, but mine are simmered in sauce, not baked.

I would think you should cook them start to finish and then freeze, but (like I said) I've never made them that way. Maybe add some extra sauce on top when re-heating?

If you venture over to the Cooking Forum, there was quite a lengthy thread about stuffed cabbage and my recipe is there (not too far down).

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffed Cabbage-Cooking Forum

• naturenut_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I debated about posting this question here or the cooking forum.. Maybe there would have been better..:~)

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

I make cabbage rolls quite often. I don't have a recipe, I just make it up with whatever ingredients I have around. They freeze easily. I just put them into old ice cream tubs, along with the sauce they're cooked in and stick them in the freezer. I take a lot to my ancient mum who can then just stick them in the microwave and have a ready made meal including all the food groups in a couple of minutes. (Providing she doesn't forget them and wander off!) I have bought her a timer with a string to go round her neck so when she gets side tracked the bell goes off and reminds her she has something in the oven. Sometimes I think I'd better get one for myself......

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Mix your filling, I like long cooked type rice, cooked half way. Added to hamburg, with chopped onions. The cabbage will require a parboil to soften leaves for rolling. Peppers only need to get seeds removed and left whole with just the tops taken off for stuffing. I simply wrap each and freeze. Once you get down a few layers of cabbage leaves parboil again to soften more. I use a Food Saver bag. For a sauce, that can be added at the time they are being baked. I use squished up whole tomatoes, and/or ketchup. Some years ago I got a serious case of the gout, and it was due to the cabbage and hamburger, where I had made a huge batch and was eating it all week. I have to avoid it now, but stuffed peppers are still ok.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I froze cabbage rolls last year and when I put them in the oven to reheat they where a bit mushy. When I make a big batch this year I think I will take the ones I want to freeze out a bit early and see if it helps. I don't know as I think the moisture in the cabbage is what makes it soft. We'll see.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Actually, you want soft cabbage. When I made these, nothing was cooked before it was frozen. The only things exposed to heat were the half cooked rice and the whole cabbage head to soften its leave so they could be rolled up. If you were planning a meal for several people, make a batch and place in a disposable aluminium pan, bag and freeze. Add the tomato sauce about half way through baking. If they are all cooked and then frozen, yes, they will be quite mushy!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Like Ken, I freeze cabbage rolls before baking them. I steam the leaves so they are pliable, mix up the filling of rice, meat, etc. and roll them up. they go into bags in the freezer and I take out as many as I want, thaw them, add the sauce and bake them or put them in the crockpot.

I've never frozen peppers stuffed but Dad would cut the top off the peppers, take out the seeds and core and freeze on baking sheets. After they were frozen he would "stack" them inside each other, then freeze in bags, 4 to a bag because that's how many he and stepmom made for a meal. When he wanted them he mixed up the filling, stuffed the still frozen peppers, then added sauce to the pan and baked them. If he let the pepeprs thaw before stuffing them, they got too soft to handle well, but they get soft during cooking so it didn't seem to make a difference after they were cooked.

Annie

• naturenut_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone..

• User
    14 years ago

Can you safely pressure can cabbage rolls? I'm trying to can more complete meals rather than just ingredients for meals.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Being mushy would DEFINATELY be noticable if you PC the cabbage rolls! I don't think they can be safely canned in any method. I have never seen stuffed cabbage or peppers canned commercially either. Maybe the smaller stuffed grape leaves, but they usually get rice and herb stuffing only. A complete stuffed cabbage or pepper casserole can be made and frozen as I mentioned. You can even add tomatoes to it, but cover during the baking and remove cover the last 10 minutes.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES