Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boiling Liquid

Posted by rocketjeremy PA6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 20:36

Crazy thought....or hopefully not too crazy. I did a batch of blueberry pie filling today. As per the instructions I was boiling batches of blueberries at a time to heat them before combining them with the clear jel.

At the end I have a pot full of the liquid I boiled in that has now taken on a deep blueberry color as well as blueberry flavor. Before I pour it down the drain (stuck it in the fridge now) would it be good to use to make blueberry syrup? I had planned to make the syrup after the pie filling and this liquid stuck in my mind.

I'm thinking of something like page 195 Ball Complete book or the simple:

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE
4 cups juice
4 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)
1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from canner and let cool.
6. Check lids, labels, and store in cool, dry place.

Not sure if this crazy idea will work. Or if it won't be strong enough flavor or there is a bad result from doing it. If it does I wish I would have tried it with other fruits I made pie filling from!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boiling Liquid

Definitely make syrup.

I usually use half as much sugar as juice. Then I boil rapidly until I hit 218 or 219 on my thermometer. Then BWB for 10 minutes.

o

Pixie lou,

Thank you that is great news!! I'm so happy I can give this a try. Just wish I had thought of this when I did cherry pie filling a few weeks ago!! Do you use any pectin at all or just a 2:1 with juice and sugar?

Thanks!!

~Jeremy

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 22:56

Jeremy - Have you tasted the blue water? I'm thinking that it wouldn't taste as much like blueberry juice as you might think. When you think about it, it's not really juice, just water with some fruit boiled in it.

Just my opinion.

Val

o

I don't use pectin in my syrup at all. Just the 2:1 and boil until it hits syrup temp on my thermometer.

If your blue liquid isn't very blueberry flavored, then you could try boiling the liquid down a bit to intensify the flavor before you make the syrup. And you may want to strain the liquid thru a jelly bag or cheesecloth - don't want any bugs or stems in your syrup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here