Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Storing new potatoes?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

I know how to store mature potatoes (in the dark, air circulation, not too cold but cool, moist but not too humid). But how do you store new potatoes (freshly dug, thin skins)? And for how long? They don't have as much starch as potatoes that are dug after the plant dies and are cured, so is it best (or even OK) to put them in the fridge?

Just dug some this AM, I did rinse the dirt off, dry them on a paper towel, put them in a brown paper bag and in the crisper drawer for 5-6 hrs, they were fine, not sweet. But wondering how to keep them longer (and I plan on selling at market, need to tell customers how to handle them).

Thanks

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They won't store for long - 2 weeks, maybe 3 max, depending on the temps and humidity. So the best thing is to not dig them until you are ready to uses them within a few days.

Fridge dries them out so out of the fridge storage is best. A cardboard box in a thin layer out of the heat and sun works

But it is best to not wash them until ready to use. Dig, let them dry and then brush off the dried dirt with your hands and leave the rest.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave - I was planning on digging no more than 24 hours before market. Consensus on Market Gardening forum is that they have to be washed for market (I might try selling some still dusty), and that way I can let them dry overnight. Think a tarp spread out on the basement floor would be OK? I plan on picking into food-grade buckets with covers to protect them from light while digging, can fill buckets with water and swish them to clean, lift them out onto tarp and then go dump the bucket outside. Have a dehumidifier running in the basement but it's still the most humid cool shady place I have. I have some shallow cardboard boxes (and might be able to get more this week) if that's better but I was afraid the boxes would get soggy and make more of a problem - I can move them around on the tarp as they dry so they don't rot.

I dug some Red Norlands that must have been 3" across (can't measure them - ate them for dinner!) so have to dig those this week, probably the Yukon Golds as well (though those were a little smaller today).