Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Roasted Tomatoes?

Posted by jane_in_il5 Central IL, z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 20:47

My favorite way to preserve tomatoes is to roast them in the oven until the skins start to wrinkle and blacken, (along with some peppers and onions) then pull off the skins, pulse the tomatoes and peppers in the food processor for just 1-2 seconds (still chunky), then freeze them.

When I use them, they still have that rich roasted flavor.

I am wondering if it's possible to can them after roasting them, since I always run out of freezer space. Would it be safe to can them with BWB? Does the roasting lower the acidity? How can I make sure they are safe?

Does anyone have a recipe for canning ROASTED tomatoes?

Thnx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Roasted Tomatoes?

Well, assuming you didn't use olive oil during the roasting process . . .

No, you'll still have issues. One is acidity, not so much because of the tomatoes but because of the peppers. And secondly there are density issues because the density of roasted vegetables is much greater.

Honestly, I have not a clue and I doubt anyone else does either. Maybe someone else has a better answer, but mine would be "No."

Carol

o
RE: Canning Roasted Tomatoes?

Sorry, no. In a BWB it would take tons of added acid, so you would have a pickled food. It is wise to keep freezing this. Unless you have a safe, tested recipe or method from a reliable source it should not be canned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here