Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_in_il5

Canning Roasted Tomatoes?

jane_in_il5
14 years ago

My favorite way to preserve tomatoes is to roast them in the oven until the skins start to wrinkle and blacken, (along with some peppers and onions) then pull off the skins, pulse the tomatoes and peppers in the food processor for just 1-2 seconds (still chunky), then freeze them.

When I use them, they still have that rich roasted flavor.

I am wondering if it's possible to can them after roasting them, since I always run out of freezer space. Would it be safe to can them with BWB? Does the roasting lower the acidity? How can I make sure they are safe?

Does anyone have a recipe for canning ROASTED tomatoes?

Thnx!

Comments (2)

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Well, assuming you didn't use olive oil during the roasting process . . .

No, you'll still have issues. One is acidity, not so much because of the tomatoes but because of the peppers. And secondly there are density issues because the density of roasted vegetables is much greater.

Honestly, I have not a clue and I doubt anyone else does either. Maybe someone else has a better answer, but mine would be "No."

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Sorry, no. In a BWB it would take tons of added acid, so you would have a pickled food. It is wise to keep freezing this. Unless you have a safe, tested recipe or method from a reliable source it should not be canned.