Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rat tail redish gone wild

Posted by julia65275 missouri (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 20:51

Please help our rat tails have went crazy can anyone suggest a way to can , freeze, dry recipes to use this in hate to see them got to waste no way to eat them all
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rat tail redish gone wild

I'd never heard of them and had to look them up. Here is some interesting information for those of you who also have never heard of them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rat-Tailed Radish

o

You can coarse grate them and freeze. Then just break off a chunk, thaw, and use them in salads, soups and stews when thawed - the texture isn't great but the taste is there. You can also slice them, dip in lemon juice and dry them. The will rehydrate easily. But again, the uses are limited. Just depends on how much you like them. ;)

Dave

o

These two "radish" recipes are in my "To Try" file.
But, heck if you have an overabundance, give them a try and let us know. From what I read in the link rachelellen sent, it sounds as if the rat-tail variety could be substituted for root variety.

Deanna (makes no claims to the recipe quality, have not tried them)

Radish Salsa
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp dry mustard
dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 c red radish matchsticks
1/4 c seeded cucumber matchsticks
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the radish and cucumber, cover and refrigerate.

Radish Relish (posted by gardenlad on this forum)
3 cups stemmed radishes
2 large ribs celery
1 large red onion
2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbls mustard seed
2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup vinegar
2 tbls prepared horseradish
Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them fiely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring to a boil in a large pan and cook ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

o

Apparently there is some misunderstanding about rat tail radishes. They are grown for their seed pods, not for roots. Regular radish recipes aren't appropriate.

Jim

o

I was wondering what a 'r_e_dish' was?

o

After reading the link above and seeing this:

Flavor and cookery

Pods are soft but crisp. When you bite into a pod you know you are eating a radish, and a pungent one at that, yet the flavor is more delicate and refined than that of a root radish. The texture is like that of a juicy chile pepper, which adds excitement to the experience, and appeals to people (like me) who don't crave root radishes.

Pods are eaten raw or cooked. They are excellent as a snack or added to salads. They may be pickled in vinegar, or lightly stir-fried. In India they are cooked in ghee and used in curries. I like tangy food so I prefer them raw or barely cooked, because pods lose pungency with cooking. Pods are best when freshly picked, but may be kept chilled for a month or more.

I thought they might be used in a relish. If the texture is similiar to a chile pepper.........

I have never eaten one though and could very well be "off base".

Deanna

o

Hi everyone,

I was given some radishes today, more than I can eat fresh and I was thinking of trying the radish relish recipe above after I found it through the search feature and I was just going to see if anyone has made it, and if so how did it turn out and also make sure it is safe to use. If anyone has any other radish recipes I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Carly

o

Gee not everyone proof reads their posts.. grin.

o

ksrogers - I must be having a blond day cause I reread it and I still don't see what you mean!! LOL!! Course I have been having a very busy day and can only hop on to the computer for a minute or two here or there in between everything else. Seems like there just needs to be more hours in a day at this time of year!

Carly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here