Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia65275

rat tail redish gone wild

julia65275
15 years ago

Please help our rat tails have went crazy can anyone suggest a way to can , freeze, dry recipes to use this in hate to see them got to waste no way to eat them all

thanks

Comments (9)

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

I'd never heard of them and had to look them up. Here is some interesting information for those of you who also have never heard of them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rat-Tailed Radish

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

You can coarse grate them and freeze. Then just break off a chunk, thaw, and use them in salads, soups and stews when thawed - the texture isn't great but the taste is there. You can also slice them, dip in lemon juice and dry them. The will rehydrate easily. But again, the uses are limited. Just depends on how much you like them. ;)

Dave

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

These two "radish" recipes are in my "To Try" file.
    But, heck if you have an overabundance, give them a try and let us know. From what I read in the link rachelellen sent, it sounds as if the rat-tail variety could be substituted for root variety.

Deanna (makes no claims to the recipe quality, have not tried them)

Radish Salsa
    1 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 T red wine vinegar
    1/8 tsp sugar
    1/8 tsp dry mustard
    dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
    1/4 c red radish matchsticks
    1/4 c seeded cucumber matchsticks
    Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the radish and cucumber, cover and refrigerate.

Radish Relish (posted by gardenlad on this forum)
    3 cups stemmed radishes
    2 large ribs celery
    1 large red onion
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 tbls mustard seed
    2 tsp dill seed
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1 cup vinegar
    2 tbls prepared horseradish
    Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them fiely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring to a boil in a large pan and cook ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Apparently there is some misunderstanding about rat tail radishes. They are grown for their seed pods, not for roots. Regular radish recipes aren't appropriate.

Jim

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I was wondering what a 'r_e_dish' was?

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

After reading the link above and seeing this:

Flavor and cookery

Pods are soft but crisp. When you bite into a pod you know you are eating a radish, and a pungent one at that, yet the flavor is more delicate and refined than that of a root radish. The texture is like that of a juicy chile pepper, which adds excitement to the experience, and appeals to people (like me) who don't crave root radishes.

Pods are eaten raw or cooked. They are excellent as a snack or added to salads. They may be pickled in vinegar, or lightly stir-fried. In India they are cooked in ghee and used in curries. I like tangy food so I prefer them raw or barely cooked, because pods lose pungency with cooking. Pods are best when freshly picked, but may be kept chilled for a month or more.

I thought they might be used in a relish. If the texture is similiar to a chile pepper.........

I have never eaten one though and could very well be "off base".

Deanna

• jcpyburn
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was given some radishes today, more than I can eat fresh and I was thinking of trying the radish relish recipe above after I found it through the search feature and I was just going to see if anyone has made it, and if so how did it turn out and also make sure it is safe to use. If anyone has any other radish recipes I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Carly

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Gee not everyone proof reads their posts.. grin.

• jcpyburn
    14 years ago

ksrogers - I must be having a blond day cause I reread it and I still don't see what you mean!! LOL!! Course I have been having a very busy day and can only hop on to the computer for a minute or two here or there in between everything else. Seems like there just needs to be more hours in a day at this time of year!

Carly