Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Store Pickles Cucumbers Prior To Canning

Posted by randy_1981 Hardiness Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 20:59

My pickling cucumbers are starting to arrive and I just have a question, how do I store them until I get enough to can? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Store Pickles Cucumbers Prior To Canning

For the best results they need to be pickled ASAP - pick and then pickle - fresh as the recipes say.

You can store them in a ziplock bag in the vegetable bin for a couple of days if you must but beyond that they begin to break down and the quality of the pickles falls off rapidly. That is why we picklers plant so many plants - to have enough to do batch pickling. ;)

Dave

o

Yes, they tend to get rubbery after a few days in the fridge. I don't bag them in the fridge as the sweat seem to cause quicker spoilage. Cukes start forming at about an inch long and within 2 days can be 3-4 inches. I usually pick daily in the morning. Depending on how many plants you started. You should get enough per day to can at least a single quart. I let canning go two days, and by then I have enough for about 4-5 quarts. I grow about 10-15 plants now, and used to do about 30-40. My flowering dill will be long gone before my cuke plants start producing. I am spraying them with a kelp concentrate to get them to grow a bit faster. Our summer here has not been over 80 degrees yet on a good day.

o

Great responses. Helpful. We see an expansion in our garden next year as we're trying to pickle with just three or four plants.

o

I only have 1 plant of pickling cukes and i seem to be lucky enough to get about 3 good sized ones at a time in about 1 week intervals. this is enough to do 2 one-quart jars at a time. i fortunately have a recipe scaled down to fit that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here