Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bread and Butter Pickles w/o onion?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 21:00

My dad brought some pickling cukes over and I have a couple, he asked me to make B&B or sweet pickles for him but I just realized I don't have any onion! Think these will be OK without (I don't actually eat the onions, but think they add to the taste)? My onions are still pretty small (too dry). Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bread and Butter Pickles w/o onion?

Sure they add to the flavor but they are optional.

Dave

o

Only pickles I made last year were fermented dills - didn't have many pickling cukes (planted in poor soil) though the slicing cukes did well.

But I got out my Joy of Pickling and found the "My Way" recipe doesn't call for onions - I did make those in 2010 and thought they needed a bit more sugar and maybe some cloves though (and I will definitely skip the red pepper flakes for my dad!).

Now - wondering if I should try making B&B zukes - not necessarily at same time/in same jar. Think there was a recipe posted here (I'm sure there's one in Ball Complete). But do the zukes need to be small (size of a slicing cuke) to make those successfully? Would crookneck squash work (see other post)?

o

Just as with cukes the smaller the zuke/squash the better. That is true for both eating and making pickles.

When they get large you can still use them but then, just as with large cukes, chunks works better than slices or make relish out of them.

You can use any pickle recipes on squash.

Dave

o

Oh, thanks Dave, I should have read this thread first. Not a big one for relish, I can try B&B chunks instead of slices. Is there an approved "chunk" recipe that will tell me how big/small to cut them?

Crossing threads here - but the crookneck squash has a bit tougher skin when big - peel it? Longer processing time? How would you pickle those?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here