Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What do you can in half pint jars?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I have been offered 24 jars from a friend. Other than peppers, I don't know what I would put in that size jars. They're the squatty ones.

Comments (17)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you can all that with the same pressure and time as a pint?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hm, I don't know that they are really half pint. I got one and it is 250 ml. A full cup of water wouldn't go in it.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I can all my mother's food in 1/2 pints. They are the perfect serving size for 1 person. I also use the pint timing.

I also do my diced tomatoes with onions/peppers for use for swiss steak and other recipes that just take a small amount.

I was given some 3/4 pints that I use to can my meats in, good size for just 2 people. These were my aunt's and she canned in them in 1953 (she labels everything, these had had grapes previously). Only problem with the smaller sizes is you still use 1 lid for each jar no matter how big the jar is.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Do you can all that with the same pressure and time as a pint?

Yes, unless a specific time is given in the instructions for the smaller jar size then you always process for the next larger jar size.

3/4 pints

Wow! Haven't seen any of those since I was a kid. Those were a really neat size too. Wonder if we could get Ball to bring them back like we did with the pint and a half jars. ;-)

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I was lucky to get them. Every time 1 breaks I want to cry. They are so handy, being flatter, I can put a couple of layers in the same amount of space as a qt easily.

Dave, you're dating yourself.

The pint and 1/2 are just the right size for 2 people for spaghetti sauce. I buy a case each year for that reason. I think my tomato chili sauce might start going in them also (qt is almost too much).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Dave, you're dating yourself.

That's no big secret here. Old, bald, arthritic knees, and dentures. :-)

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

One reason for me to change from the marketing side to the preserving side. Those acres of veggies really started to get the better of us.

• msmarieh
    10 years ago

Dave,

I have gotten 12 ounce quilted crystal jars from Ace Hardware (and other places). They are still (or again) available now.

Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ace Hardware 12 ounce jars

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Marie, Dave and I aren't talking about the quilted jelly jars, but actual canning jars from a much earlier time. They look like wide mouth pints but much shorter. As I said, my aunt canned in them in the 1950s and they are still good, made by Ball and Kerr.

Ace, here, are the highest priced for anything. But I can still get my seals for the pressure canners there.

• elledee883
    10 years ago

I also use them for custard cups! I make custard in my pressure cooker and they are perfect. Also great for pudding, cake in a jar, etc. I have canned jam and meat in them also.

• Vikki Wright
    7 years ago

I would love to know how to make custard in my canner! Is it shelf stable?

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

You can make it but no you cannot can custard for shelf storage. You cannot can any dairy products.

The instructions for making it should be in your canner manual. If not then see

https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/desserts_recipes_pressure_cookers.htm#quick-cooking_custard

Dave

• Judy
    7 years ago

I've used the half pint jars for:

Raspberry Jam, Apple Butter, Pickled String Beans, Pepper Relish, Tomato Paste

• annie1992
    7 years ago

I also use the half pints for jam and jelly, for hot sauce, pizza sauce, catsup (both KatieC's chipotle and the plain kind), pickled jalapenos since only my husband eats them, and for whatever little bit of "something" that's left over and isn't enough for a pint. That can be anything from sweet relish to salsa to beef broth.

Annie

• defrost49
    7 years ago

I like the squatty jar for homemade mustards and chutneys.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

I use one half pint jar every time I make Annie's Salsa because I always seem to get ~7.5 pints per batch. Other things I use 1/2 pints for are pickled garlic, and bean seed saving. In the past I have used 1/2 pints for prepared horseradish that I freeze but I have found that often I don't use all of the jar before it greens up in the frig so this year I bought a dozen 4 oz. jars for the horseradish.