Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help...bulging jar lid!

Posted by saponaria 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 21:14

I just canned my first batch of tomatoes. I see from some reading on here all that clearish tomato juice with tomatoes bobbing up out of it is ok. But when I took my jars out of the pressure canner I noticed that 2 out of 7 had lids that were bulging up so much on the top that they are bent! I did NOT overfill them based on the recipe and instructions. Why would they do this? I assume they won't seal properly now since the lid is bent. Ugh. Could the problem be that I used the Golden Harvest canning jars and their lids from Big Lots? Just cheap crap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help...bulging jar lid!

Could the problem be that I used the Golden Harvest canning jars and their lids from Big Lots? Just cheap crap?

Nope - many of us use them all the time with no problems. The most likely cause is the bands were screwed on too tightly or the jars were over filled.

If you just did these, then you can reprocess them: empty the contents together in a pan to reheat, re-wash the jars, refill, new lids, and reprocess for the full time.

What space was called for and if you are sure you left that much then the bands were screwed down too tightly - finger tight only so they can loosen as needed during processing.

Dave

o

Either you put the rings on too tight, they are just to be fingertip tight, or you let the pressure out of the canner manually after processing to speed things up. Never let the pressure out, let it reduce naturally. That is also part of the safe processing time, the time it takes for a canner to get up to pressure after venting and also the time after processing when the canner drops the pressure. That, and you also need to let the jars sit in the canner with the lid on for an additional 10 min. before you ever open the canner and remove the jars.
The rings are put on the jars only to hold them in place, but they need to be lose enough so they can vent out to allow all the air to be expelled. That is how you get a vacuum seal.

o

Thanks! I didn't overfill or let the pressure out of the canner too soon. I am pretty sure the culprit is I screwed the bands too tight. I'll know better next time. One of those bulgy lids sealed the other didn't. I'll reprocess that one. The other one still has a slight bent in the crease on the flat part. Know what I mean? But the seal is as tight as the others that sealed from what I can tell. Do you think it's safe?

o

Most likely but just to be on the safe side, I would reprocess them both with new heat, lid, and seal as described above. The bend in the one may hold for awhile but it will weaken the seal over time. Either reprocess (must be done within 24 hours and the sooner-the-better) or just refrigerate those 2 and use ASAP.

You can check off on the "Too-Tight-Bands" lesson as learned. ;)

Dave

o

Way back that hapend to me with a couple of 8 ounce jelly jars, that I had filled only 1/8 inch from the top of the rims. They warped so much that the lids had creases in them. As mentioned, a little more headspace and also just a light snug on the the jar rings. You SHOULD USE only a single thumb and the index finger to snug the ring down. The ring is meant just to help hold the lid in place and not intended to seal them before going into the canner. Any grabbing and cranking on a lid will cause them to not vent properly. Ever see in physics class whey they add water to ma seal meal can and bring it to a boil?
As to Golden Harvest, these are made by the same company that makes Ball jars and is their 'generic' line. Its glass and lids are the same materials as used in Ball and has been, since they started up the GH line about 10 years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here