Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomoma Pectin no-cook jam longevity

Posted by gnomeabram 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 21:21

I've been using Ball No-cook pectin to make raspberry freezer jam for a few years now because it works well with only a small amount of sugar. The one downside it has is the somewhat soupy consistancy of the jam.

I am thinking of trying Poloma because it gels a lot better, but am put off by their claim that the freezer jam will last only 1 week in the fridge. My Ball No-cook jam lasts at least 3 weeks in the fridge. Does anyone know why Poloma freezer jam goes bad so quickly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomoma Pectin no-cook jam longevity

Freezer jam is perishable due to it not being processed after its canned likle regular. No and low suagr jams are also affected within a few weeks and can also get moldy. If you want a safer product that will last much longer in the fridge, add a bit of acid blend or citric before its cooked. Pomona is a citrus based product that has no shelf life like regular and no/low sugar types. Furthermore, the low/no sugar types tend to be like a thick Jello as opposed to a spreadable jam. I would keep the fridge temp at 35-37 degrees and no higher. I have jars of Pomona sugarless that are in my fridge up to six months with no signs of mold.

o

When sugar is added in high amounts, it binds up water that allows molds and other bacteria to grow in the moisture.
So, with low or no sugar, you don't have that preserving quality. If you look at the Ball stuff, they normally put chemicals in it to prevent mold. The Pomona's is a natural product. Therefore, it molds more quickly. I don't keep freezer jam in the fridge, but always in the freezer. It thaws so fast you can spread it easily.

o

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm going to try a batch or 2 and see how I like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here