Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I freeze chives and green onions?

Posted by buyorsell888 Zone 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 21:22

I have bountiful harvests of chives and green onions right now but there are only two of us and we can't eat them all at once. I do plant the onions multiple times for them to be ready at different times but still it is feast or famine.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I freeze chives and green onions?

I do. Just snip them into ziploc bags. Then just open a bag and throw a bit into whatever I'm cooking.

I tried to dehydrate them once, but I just couldn't get them "dry" enough - they ended up tough and stringy.

o

Yes, I agree. Go ahead and chop them up however you usually use them and stick them in Ziplock freezer bags. In each bag, only put in an amount you typically use at one time.

o

The little "snack" bags are quite useful for portions, however, they are storage not freezer bags so you get some air leakage. I put the scissor-snipped chives or the small sliced green onions in these little bags, then put them in a quart canning jar with a used lid and band. Saves space and labeling is done once on the jar, not every single little bag.

I also do this for black olives that I buy in huge cans and divvy up portions for pizza, diced yellow onions, chopped garlic, prepared leeks, and shredded cheeses. I call my freezer the "frozen pantry" since my flours, cornmeal/masa, oatmeal, dry yeast, and cooked rice live there too.

Nancy

o

Great ideas, thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here