Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizgross144

Garlic

lizgross144
9 years ago

I just harvested 75 heads of gorgeous hard neck garlic. I have it hanging in a dark spot in my garage to cure. I usually just keep it in the basement and use it throughout the year (and for seed, of course). Does anyone preserve their garlic in any other way I should consider?

Comments (9)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

You can pickle it, but I haven't done so yet. Or you can dehydrate it (slice or chop it prior to dehydrating) and then grind it into garlic powder. I've made homemade garlic powder and it is amazing.

Rodney

• lizgross144
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oooh, Garlic powder sounds delicious. I should have thought about that. I'll add it to my list!

-Liz

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Check out this article on the various ways of preserving it. We freeze and dehydrate most of outs.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe Methods for Preserving Garlic

• malna
    9 years ago

I grow two rocambole varieties that are not long-keepers, so if I haven't used it all up while in its prime, I roast it and freeze it. Frozen roasted garlic keeps very well, so that's another way to preserve it.

Homemade garlic powder is fabulous, too. I love the smell of garlic, but I do grind it into powder out on the deck. Depending on the variety, it can be some potent stuff. No vampires here :-)

• pattypan
    9 years ago

my garlic has a wire worm problem. even a month after storing i can find soft spots, which means a wormy clove. i separate the cloves, peel wash and slice the good ones, and freeze in olive oil in half-pint jars. and i really squish the garlic to get as much under oil as i can. i keep a jar in the fridge to use up within a few weeks. just plop a spoonful into the frying pan. i have saved dozens of bulbs this way. and california ranch o.o. has a best by date on the label, so i know it will be good for more than a year. does anyone have info on whether freezing cuts down the shelf life of olive oil ?
    by the way malna, my german red rocambole (sans worms) will last 9-10 months in the basement, as long as some soft necks. i keep it near the floor and very dark .

• judydel
    9 years ago

We harvested about a bushel in total of 4 varieties. We eat approximately a head (not toe) a day. After letting it dry out on our deck for a couple of days . . . we just keep it cool in our cellar and it lasts each year until gone.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

on the deck....does that mean it gets sun ? our local garlic guru says to dry in the shade. this year, on the last dozen i dug, i peeled off the outer layer so i could inspect the clean bulbs for those tiny brown spots that indicate a worm has drilled a new home....

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I pickle them in straight vinegar. The older it gets , the better it is. No BWB or anything it can last for over 5 years. But then it is used as pickle not for cooking. For cooking , you can dice them and preserve them also by pressure canner.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

you can also pickle them and then freeze in oil, a different taste after sauteing. i have some dried also. many slices are the color of light honey, with tinges of golden brown, did i overdry?