Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salsa...I've tried them all..

Posted by momagain1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 21:37

including Annies...

too sweet and too thick..

HELP! I like my salsa to look like the one website link attached...

http://christinemariesrecipes.blogspot.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salsa...I've tried them all..

For canning or for eating fresh?

The thickness is controlled by you - don't drain the tomatoes and don't include tomato paste - and you can always reduce or leave any sugar out of the recipe.

Dave

o

for canning...

o

I don't think you have tried all the canning recipes, then.
Most of these look like that one. These are the ones we use at the extension office. It is one of our Pacific Northwest publications.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salsa recipes for canning.

o

Since salsa is such a risky food given it is composed of low acid ingredients, BWB processed, and eaten fresh from the jar with no further cooking, if you are willing to accept a high level of risk then you could probably use any salsa recipe you wish.

Most of us are not willing to accept that much risk so we use one of the approved recipes and then just adjust it as desired after opening the jars.

So as I mentioned above, you can always make it soupier simply by not draining the tomatoes as much and you can always leave out any sugars or sweeteners without affecting the safety of the salsa.

Dave

o

I've tried literally dozens of them...

I guess I'm picky??? Linda Lou, if I were to pick one, that would be a salsa like that link..which one of those would you advise to be the best...

Dave -- I dont ever risk it! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here