Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctropasso

Color of canned yellow wax beans

ctropasso
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my very first post. I love the forum and all of the recipes, tips and suggestions. I recently harvested pencil pod yellow wax beans and decided to can them. I bought a pressure canner last year and this was my first time using it. I followed the cold pack method for beans from the Ball Blue book of home preserving. I canned the beans in pint jars and added 1/4 tsp canning salt to each jar. I processed them for 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure as the recipe stated. The beans canned fine, all of my jars sealed and the pressure canning process was easy. When I removed my jars from the canner though I noticed the beans look a little brown and not bright yellow as I was expecting. Could this be due to the bean variety - pencil pod has black seeds? Or could it be my water - we have a well with a water softener? Or finally, could it have been something with the canning salt?

Along with this, what are some varieties of yellow wax beans that are good for home canning?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what may have caused this off color.
Carrie

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It's the color from the seeds that the pressure canning forces out of them into the pod skin and the water Green beans also darken when they have dark seeds but not when they have white seeds.

I don't like wax beans so never grow them but the only variety I know of that has white seeds are Heirloom Golden Wax and Brittle Wax - both are bush beans.

Dave

• n2xjk
    9 years ago

Kinghorn wax has white seeds.