Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cb_garden

new to canning

cb-garden
10 years ago

Im going shopping next weekend for the supplies i need to start canning. I live out in the middle of no were. I would like to get everything i need to start canning. I will be canning pickles and tomatoes and sauce. Would you please help me make a list of the things ill need.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So BWB canning only, right? No pressure canning.

A boiling water bath canner with rack and lid.
    a copy of the Ball Blue Book
    Jar lifter for loading and unloading jars from the hot water
    canning funnel for filling jars
    lid lift magnet (optional) for removing lids from hot water
    good set of measuring cups one for liquids and one for solids
    set measuring spoons
    Jars - quarts, pints and 1/2 pints (regular or wide mouth)
    lids and rings/bands (regular or wide mouth to match jars)
    felt tip marker for marking on lids or jar labels
    canning salt
    jar of Pickle Crisp (optional)
    gallon of 5% vinegar both white and cider
    bottle of lemon juice or jar of citric acid for tomatoes
    spices needed for whatever pickles you make
    Some sort of food mill for making tomato sauce - Foley or Victorio
    Misc. cooking spoons, hot pads, towels

Between now and then I suggest some in-dept reading at NCHFP (linked below), especially all the "how-to" FAQs there, and the info on How to use a boiling water bath canner as well as all the general info on canning.

Hope this helps and welcome to the world of home canning. :-)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that acidic foods can't be cooked in aluminum pans/spoons/etc. So you will need at least 1 good stainless steel pot for cooking down tomato sauce and for heating up the brines for the pickles etc.

Dave

• txtom50
    10 years ago

Ball has a canning kit that has three of the items on Dave's list plus a plastic utensil for removing air bubbles and measuring headspace. They're available just about anywhere canning supplies are sold - probably next to the Ball Blue Book he mentioned. Here's a link to show what's in the kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Canning Utensil Kit

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I would add: 1 small pan to warm the lids in. I keep some that is too small to do much else (1 qt) just for that. That pan is kept with all the other small supplies in a plastic tote. When done with canning for the season, I pack everything up in the tote and store it away until needed for the next year. It's worked well for me.

I wouldn't can without my jar lifter and magnetic lid lifter, plus a hot pad for me to hold the jar while tightening the rings.

All these items add up, but most you will use for years. I've shopped at Goodwill and the like to find that perfect ladle or pan. Still looking for another jelly making pan like Grandma's.

I have also used the stainless steel stock pots to can in, they don't chip like the enamel BW pans, I add a cake cooling rack to the bottom (just smaller than pan) and start WBing. I found a set of 3 for around $20 a few years ago and use them for a bit of everything from canning to corn cooking to a big batch of chili.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

Welcome to canning! Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.