Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gossie_gw

Mirro Canning Help

Gossie
10 years ago

I know, I know. This thread has been done so many times. I can't seem to get this though. I feel like I need Digdirt to move next door so I can bug him with questions first hand.

I have a mirro 12 at pressure cooker with canning system. I don't know the model number. (It's currently cooling from a test run so I can't check the bottom). It has three individual weighted gauges.

I have to use it on the burner of our gas grill because we have a stove that states that pressure canner shouldn't be used. Anyway, I have read and reread the manual but apparently I am too stupid. After allowing the steam to vent for 10 minutes, I place the gauge on and wait... and wait... and wait.

The gauge never begins to rock or jiggle or dance or twirl. It does continue to shoot steam. I have tried it on high heat and lower heat and the results are the same. The lid is on correctly.

I'd really love to be able to use this thing to can food at some point. Can anyone help me out here?

Comments (18)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

mirro 12 at pressure cooker with canning system

Never heard of a pressure cooker with canning system.

Is This what you have?

If so then it is a Mirro 12 quart pressure canner (not pressure cooker) and the weight (not a gauge) is a 3 piece ball, right?

If so the weight does not just sit on the vent stem. It has to be screwed down on it. The vent stem and the ball are both threaded. You have to wear an oven mitt to protect your hand from the steam while screwing it on after venting. Once it is screwed in place it will then bounce/hiss/spin 4-6 times per min. when at pressure. OK?

Dave

• Gossie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks similar, but the weights are more of a tear drop shape. I had actually ordered the mirro that you posted but was sent this other kind. When I called, they said that they worked the same. (I've read similar stories on Amazon.) They credited me and talked me into keeping it. Perhaps that was a really bad idea, but I didn't know and took the guy's word for it.

But the box does, in fact, say "Pressure cooker with canning system" The model number I can see now is 92112. Online, it is simply referred to as a pressure cooker.

I can see that these weights are not threaded. Instead, they have two thin metal (resembling wire) catches. It seems as if they can balance slightly in those or be pushed down further. The manual isn't model specific, so I have tried both.

Should I just buy a new pressure canner and keep this thing for cooking? I bought it two years ago and haven't had much time to practice with it, so I doubt I would be able to return it now.

Here's a link to the model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure cooker with canning system

This post was edited by Gossie on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 8:14

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Looking at your 'link', you bought a pressure cooker, not canner. I didn't see anywhere in the link stating 'canning', only 1 review that said 'added to be canning equipment', in what use, I don't know.

I have several Mirro canners and prefer them over any other.

I have used a pressure cooker to do a couple of pints in the past, before I got an actual canner. So it can be done, but not recommended (professionally or personally).

Buy a canner, not a cooker. You will be happier.

Now to processing over a gas grill----it there is even a small draft, it will not heat well enough. I've tried it and gave up when I could get the heat up enough and consistent enough. BWB does work, but not near as well. If you want to keep the heat outside, I found a turkey fryer works well.

• Gossie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. I wonder why they would even bother putting "with canning system" on the box? I wish I had just insisted on them sending the correct one at the time. Do you have a particular place (online or brick and mortar) that you recommend to buy another Mirro? I had researched and found that they do seem to have a lot of fans in the canning world, which is why I chose the brand.

It sounds like I have a couple of large purchases before I will be canning anything.

I appreciate the help!!! Thank you.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I found mine at yard sales, before the canning revival started. I know Rural King doesn't carry Mirro, only Presto.

You can BWB lots of things, just not low-acid items.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

OK. sorry I couldn't get back to you till now. Technically you could use this for pressure canning pints as it meets the minimum approved size. But that is only IF anyone can figure out how the weight/weights are supposed to work.

But that is technically speaking. Ideally there are much better models available and if it was me I'd sure get one of them if you can handle the cost.

I have no experience with this particular weight set. Never seen it before. And as far as I know neither does any one else here unless Linda Lou has seen one for testing purposes.

It is clearly one of the models made after the company was sold and many sources call it a T-Fal-Mirro, others call it Doba/Mirro which tells me it is actually made by "who knows who". Most sites call it a pressure cooker only and some say the pressure monitoring is in the handle. Is there any sort of dial or number system or anything in the handle?

Right now I can only guess that it either (a) works somewhat like their 3 piece ball model weight set. It is 3 pieces right? Try aligning the notches, push down and twist to lock.

Or (b) it only allows you to cook at 15 lbs. pressure at which point the weight will rock and you'd have to do everything at that pressure. Ok for cooking but not for canning.

Let me do some more research on it and get back to you in a bit. Meanwhile I sure wouldn't use it.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've seen these being sold on ebay as canning, but was leery of them. My has a 1 piece weight with 3 holes for the vent, marked 5, 10 and 15.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

If you buy a new Mirro, you will get junk.... they have some small springs in the handles and they keep breaking. They are not any stronger than one from a ball point pen. Then, it is getting impossible to buy gaskets. I know the gal that sells these in her hardware store. She will not even stock Mirro any longer.
    I feel Presto 23 qt is the best for the money. Buy the extra weight set, part 50332 and you can leave the dial on, but use the weights and have a weighted gauge canner.
    Please, do not use that cooker to can in.... if it won't hold at least 4 qt. jars, then it is not safe to can in. See my post about the man getting botulism from using a cooker instead of a canner. He almost died.
    Then, if your grill is more than 12,000 btu's it is also not safe to use to can on. Only Camp Chef brand 2 burner stove on low is the only safe one we know of. They are about $100 and worth it.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

"particular place (online or brick and mortar) that you recommend to buy another Mirro?"

No, the current Mirros aren't the same product as the trustworthy vintage. I can frequently in my 1970's era Mirro and love it - I wouldn't buy a recently made Mirro though.
    That little lever mechanism in the handle is a joke, and I think venting (required) may even interfere with the way it operates...the little channel gets water/steam in it and the silly little lever then makes for headaches you wouldn't have if you assembled the canner with all in place and then placed it on heat...Who the heck designed that, not someone who cans I don't think.

The 12 qt is large enough to meet size requirements, I have the 8 qt (that I cooked, not canned in until I replaced my cooker for meals with an electric model) and the 8 qt is just the tiniest bit too small, just barely misses closing on four 1-qt jars. But I don't understand that weight pictured with yours, and I don't know if it can be set to variable pressure or only heats to one pressure before rocking/jiggling.

Please don't shop until you've researched further, and don't can in yours until that weight has been clarified by someone who understands it....

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Some research results. First apparently your weight is NOT a 3 piece weight, not really even a weight. It is what is called a counter-weight and is supposedly set at 15 lbs. and that number is supposed to be marked on it somewhere. Check for a number on yours. It works just like the counter-weight that comes on the Presto that we all replace with the weights.

Supposedly any pressures less than 15 lb is somehow indicated in the handle??? But I can't find out how and i can't find a manual for that particular cooker. None of the other online Mirro manuals cover it that I can find.

A separate 10 lb. counterweight is available at Goodman's and Red Hill General Store for $9.99 if you want to go that route (which I don't recommend as you have no way of knowing if it will work either.)

A counter-weight works differently than a weight in that it will rock/hiss/release steam continuously when at pressure although you can reduce the heat so that it rocks/vents slowly rather than full blast.

So in theory you could use this pressure cooker (and that is what it is) to can if you want to do everything at 15 lbs. or if you buy the 10 lb weight and do everything at 10.

As an alternative (and I stress this is untested) it might be possible to replace the vent tube on this canner to the pointed one and so use the normal 5-10-15 round disk weight on it. IF it worked it would be cheaper than buying a real canner but buying a real canner is my best recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• Gossie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, guys. Thanks so, so much for your help. I think I will just stick to freezing my low acid foods for now and look a little more into an actual canner just to be safe.

Adding to the confusion, I live in a high altitude, so I have to can at 15 lbs of pressure anyway. But I would feel safest if I didn't risk killing my entire household with poorly processed food!

Again, I'm incredibly grateful to you all. You're awesome!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

My Mirro's are old ones with the different weight. There are several on ebay at this time. Depending on size 8 qt (4 qt jars) to 22 qt (7 qts or 18 pts), prices run from $40-100 plus shipping. These all have the old style weights.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

ive in a high altitude, so I have to can at 15 lbs of pressure anyway.

Big difference in all the above. I was trying to fix it so you could use it at normal processing weights.

In that case if the counter-weight is indeed labeled 15 lbs as it should be you'll be fine to use it. If the counter-weight is venting steam/jiggling and if you use the time called for you can't UNDER-process the food. The problem most folks who live at high altitudes have is OVER-processing the food.

Just use extra water in the canner so it doesn't run dry during longer processing times.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That part number is the weight for pressure cookers. I have the same weight from an old pressure cooker.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

That part number is the weight for pressure cookers. I have the same weight from an old pressure cooker.

What part number are you talking about?

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The one listed above 50332

• Kathy3882
    9 years ago

Thank you Gossie and dugdirt for the info on the Mirro 12 Qt, Model #92112. I had planned on canning beans this morning. Sounds as if the 2 of you saved me a lot of time and wasted half runner beans, which aren't cheap!!! I too bought the "canner" thinking I could use it for canning!!! Even bought a hot plate because I couldn't use my cooktop. I've also seen posts where Mirro canners are "not the quality of years past". Please advise me as to which canners you guys prefer. I'd really appreciate any information.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Kathy - lots of discussions here about "best" or "favorite" pressure canners. There are only 3 brands approved - Presto, Mirro, All American.

The Presto models, 16 or 23 qt, and the best deal for the $$. The 23 qt. is ideal for most but needs the separate 3 piece weight set discussed in this old thread. It costs an additional $12 or so.

If you want to spend the money for one then the All American models are considered the luxury models of pressure canners.

Dave