Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving Pocket Soup

Posted by cannond (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 22:00

I've been interested in making pocket soup, which is an old method of reducing defatted stock or broth to a jelly, then dehydrating it and cutting it into 1 inch squares. There is a recipe for this in Witty's Better Than Store Bought.

I've tasted the "essence" of the redux before it's dehydrated, and it's a winner. It should be frozen, of course, and can be reconstituted easily from the freezer. Witty suggests using a hot spoon.

Having to pressure can ump-teen quarts of stock again is getting old, but will dehydrated essence be shelf safe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving Pocket Soup

There are no tested or approved guidelines for doing this so it is a do at your own risk thing. Freezing is the only approved and tested option.

It comes up now and then on some of the wilderness/survival forums but it always has lots of caveats attached. Things like must be totally dried, can quickly develop mold, turns rancid with time since it is difficult to get all the fat out, difficult to reconstitute into an edible form, etc.

It also has a fairly high botulism potential so requires heavy boiling after reconstituted.

It is one of those things that requires so much work and energy usage for such limited storage that it holds no appeal for me personally.

Dave

o

In one word... NO.

o

Thanks folks, for letting me know. I think the USDA is fine with jerky, but only a couple of months shelf life, right? Wrong? Help.

o

I should add I hate pressure canning. I follow the Ball Blue Book. I sit and watch the pressure canner in fear. It looks like a bomb. I think I'll just stick with a stock reduction and freeze it.

o

Jerky guidelines.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Jerky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here