Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pits Hard to Get Out of Peaches??

Posted by kriswrite zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 22:02

For 2 years now, I've canned peaches. Both years, I purchased my peaches from the same farm. Both times, the peaches look ripe and the peels come off easily when I blanch the fruit for 60 seconds. But with at least 99 percent of the peaches, it's a real chore to remove the pits.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick I need to learn? Or are the peaches perhaps not quite ripe?

Thanks for your help.
Kristina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pits Hard to Get Out of Peaches??

Sounds like you are buying cling peaches rather than freestone? Freestones are usually ripe about a month to 6 weeks later than clings.

With clings I find it easier to just cut slices/wedges off rather than try to get the stone out cleanly. Wastes a bit but ends with better quality.

It also helps if you do the dip in boiling water then in ice water method of peeling rather than knife peeling.

Dave

o

Are they free pit peaches? Or cling peaches? If they are cling peaches, it is a pain to get the stones out.

I've found it is easier for me to cut the peach in half, remove the stone, and then blanch the peach to remove the skin. After blanching, the peaches are always wet and slippery, and I would always have a bit of difficulty just holding the peach steady to remove the pit.

o

I had no idea there was such a thing as cling peaches. That must be what I've been buying. Thanks so much for the advice!

o

I have a different problem, I can never get the skin to come off peaches. I cut an X in the skin and boil for 1 minute and shock in icey water. Maybe the peaches just aren't ripe enough, but I do make sure they are beginning to ripen.

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 22:46

Yep - freestone peaches are the way to go. We planted 3 of them a couple of years ago. Pits come right out.

Val

o

I cut an X in the skin and boil for 1 minute and shock in icey water.

No X and too long in the hot water. Once water is boiling just put the peach in a slotted spoon and dip it into the boiling water, 10-15 seconds and then immediately into the ice water. Let sit in the ice water for 10 mins. and the skins just rub right off with your fingers.

Types of peaches

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here