Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Refrigerator fig jam

MrClint
9 years ago

Figs are coming in strong this year. As a result, I made some refrigerator jam. Loosely followed an Indian recipe. Tastes great, I didn't add very much sugar. Not sure how long it will keep, probably a week or two, but figured I would give it a shot:

Comments (5)

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump...

• blondiesc
    9 years ago

Looks good! I'm still waiting on my figs to ripen. Seems like it's later this year. Maybe because our winter was unusually cold.

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

My 12 fig trees died way back from several snow falls and very cold temperatures for longer than normal this winter. Global warming is also global cooling, ya' know. They are beginning to show little fig babies on the new growth but trees are half the size they were. It is probably a good thing since they were getting way too tall to pick fruit from easily. At least I will know where to prune = everything that is black!

As for the fig refrigerator jam, I'd add more lemon juice to each jar since figs have a very high pH relative to other fruits. You could then keep it longer, if it isn't consumed within a couple of weeks (or like days at my house).

If you have lots of figs, make some honey, fig and walnut tart/cake. It freezes really well (wrap in aluminum foil or FoodSaver bags after freezing uncovered for a day). In the middle of winter and into spring/summer, long before the figs are ripe again, this makes an exceptional treat.
    http://www.branappetit.com/2011/09/27/honey-fig-and-walnut-cake/

And, do try preserved figs, a Southern favorite.
    http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2013/07/preserved-figs.html#axzz37II5EpOY
    and definitely add a big whole sliced lemon!!! (pH issue)
    Nancy

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was a heck-of-a-Winter for a lot of folks. We were pretty mild here overall, to where we didn't get enough chill hours for some of our marginal fruits (apricots and some blueberries). Not enough chill here to kill spider mites either, which have decimated my tomatoes. Gardening has taught me to take the good with the bad. :)

nancedar, I think you are right. This recipe could have used a bit more lemon "bite". Maybe a splash of bourbon? Or maybe using Meyer lemons that I have on hand didn't do the trick? The cinnamon added a lot of interest though, would have never thought to add it otherwise. The recipe could be tweaked into something truly special.

The fig and walnut tart/cake sounds divine and easy, but I'm not sure about the corn meal - does it add something to the mix that I'm not envisioning?

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

Meyer lemons are a cross between oranges and lemons and are not as acidic as lemons. With all the figs you have, try taking small portions, like a half cup or so, and adding a quarter teaspoon of your flavorings. Keep notes because I guarantee you won't remember next year what you put in that you liked the best. Since it is a refrigerator jam it is best to make small portions anyway. I've not used bourbon but I did make fig jam with balsamic vinegar and peppercorns (closer to the taste of chutney for meats and cheese trays, not toast), and of course there is FROG jam.

Cornmeal in the cake is for texture. With all the seeds in the figs and the walnuts, this is a cake for people who like crunchy, opposed to my DH and those people who like soft and mushy who would like a light sponge cake with a small amount of ground up figs and walnuts, or with just a few small pieces. There are other recipes for that kind of cake so you decide if you are a crunchy or a mushy.
    Nancy