Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canned relish looks very thin

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:07

I canned 5 pints of relish today for a zucchini relish recipe using cucumbers instead. I have made this one other time using the cucumbers and didn't have a problem. The recipe is very similar to the one in the Ball Blue Book, only more. It has 10 cups zuc/cucs, 4 cups of onion, 4 1/2 cups sugar and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I simmered it for 30 min. Is it possible that I could "fix" the 5 pints? I was hoping that when the sugar cooled that it would thicken....it called for a tablespoon of cornstarch and I even added an extra but it is still soupy. Could I cook it again? I was even thinking of cooking some additional cucs down and adding it to what I already have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canned relish looks very thin

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:21

Casi - I don't know where you got the recipe from but cornstarch?? Are you sure this is a safe recipe to use? Generally speaking cornstarch isn't allowed in canning. It is on the list of restricted thickeners. It not only breaks down in the jars but slows the heat penetration.

As to the thinness - home canned relish is actually supposed to be somewhat thin and soupy for safety purposes and proper heat penetration. You then just drain off any excess liquid after you open the jar for use.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here