Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to have a pressure canner for spaghetti sauce?

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 22:31

I have been surfing thru some of the postings.....my DH wants me to can some spaghetti sauce but from what I'm reading I need to have a pressure canner, is that true? Is there no way to can without one? I just froze the tomatoes last year but I still have a bunch left because it wasn't as handy as having the sauce already made.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to have a pressure canner for spaghetti sauce?

You need a pressure canner for sauces with meat. There are some pasta sauce recipes without meat that don't require a pressure canner, but you may have to look under alternate names. So there are two Ellie Topp pasta sauce recipes provided on this forum and there are also seasoned tomato sauces of various types in resources like the Ball Blue Book.

The other option is to make a big batch of spaghetti sauce to your family's taste and freeze it instead of just the tomatoes. It might not take any more space and would be much more convenient.

Carol

o
RE: Do I have to have a pressure canner for spaghetti sauce?

There are also spaghetti sauces without meat that require pressure canning because they are made from a mixture of low-acid vegetables - tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, etc. So it isn't just the meat that is an issue.

The answer to your question depends on exactly what you mean by "spaghetti sauce" (it means different things to different people) and the recipe used.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here