Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

Oven dried tomato storage

ikea_gw
11 years ago

Now that I've made enough sauce for the winter, I am wondering if I can make oven dried tomatoes for long term storage. In the past, I've frozen them but I wonder if there is a better method of storing. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Most ovens I have checked either do not have an accurate thermometer or uneven heat distribution. Do NOT depend on the temp. shown on the oven dial without using a good thermometer to check it for accuracy.
    My oven at home is off 50 or more degrees and has a drying cycle but it runs at about 255 degrees which is too hot to dry tomatoes (to retain maximum nutrition) or prevent blackening.
    Hunt for a home dehydrator. Maybe someone in the family has an Excalibur they are not using (realistically not much chance of that however.)
    Jim in So Calif

• planatus
    11 years ago

I still can some sauce, but prefer drying the bulk of my tomato crop. I don't think you would do well in the oven because tomatoes take a long time to dry, depending on type. Rings cut from paste tomatoes go pretty fast, but the batch of juicy Black Krims I did this week probably took 8 hours at 135 degrees with fan (in my Excalibur).

You might use your oven to make "half dried tomatoes" which are then frozen. You dry halves until they collapse, then freeze them. Excellent in winter salads!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with the above. Get a dehydrator if you want good, well-dried tomatoes. Otherwise do the half-dried in the oven and then freeze them.

Dave

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So what do you do with half-dried tomatoes? You take them out of the freezer then just put it on a salad?

• cannond
    11 years ago

Jim: Along these same lines, I've read that in Italy tomatoes are frequently brought into the kitchen, still on the vine, and hung upside-down to dry. Then, they're taken from the vine as needed. Would this work? Would it be safe? I'm assuming they're Roma tomatoes, but who knows.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

So what do you do with half-dried tomatoes? You take them out of the freezer then just put it on a salad?

Salads, on sandwiches, pizza topping, added to chili or spaghetti, mixed into cooked vegetables or pasta salads, casseroles, anything you would normally add tomatoes to.

Dave

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

I have never tried dehydrating in an oven but I love my Excaliber. Can't recommend having a good dehydrator enough. Have dried a ton of tomatoes. They are very easy to store in jars or food saver type bags. I do two things with them mainly. Snacks right out of the jar, and they are great on sandwiches. Also once dry they can be placed in a blender and made into powder which can then be used for soups or seasoning.

• nancyofnc
    11 years ago

cannond - the "dry on the vine" tomatoes are the heirloom variety called Principe Borghese in Italy. They do dry them that way but their climate is very different than ours and with all the air pollution everywhere, I doubt if they do that as much now that they also have dehydrators and don't have to worry about sun scald, bees/wasps/flies, and air-borne bacteria and molds. That tomato is one of the best for dehydrating but next comes Roma and San Marzano, along with about 100 other heirloom tomato varieties, including the yellow, orange, pink, and green ones.

My husband thought I was off a little when I asked Santa for an Excalibur until I told him that he had good tools in his workshop that cost more than that year-'round tool, and that it would save us a lot of money over time. He is definitely a proponent of dehydrators now. Some veggies that are getting a little too ripe or soft get dried for adding to soup 6 months later or so, same with just about any kind of fruit, most herbs just when winter will be hitting us, and of course tons of tomatoes drying then used as "sun" dried, powdered, made into leather for snacks, or to be made into paste or soup anytime of year. I also make flaxseed crackers, fruit leathers, hot pepper flakes, squash/pumpkin seeds, whole slices of pineapple "flowers", and candied ginger.

You can dry flowers, make yogurt, jerky, and lots of other things in the dehydrator. I think of it as another appliance like the stove, refrigerator, and freezer.

Nancy

• cannond
    11 years ago

"the "dry on the vine" tomatoes are the heirloom variety called Principe Borghese in Italy"

Thank you, Nancy; this is good to know.
    Do you have any specs on the efficiency of the Excalibur? I winced a bit when I saw the price on Amazon, though it gets high marks from reviewers.

I wonder if dried tomatoes could be used to make fermented salsa, a condiment we use in copious amounts around here. I expect it would have to be brined, rather than relying on the tomato's natural juice. Does anyone know?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH