Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junelynnky

Linda Lou's Kosher Dills (Heinz recipe) - 'Dill newbie' question

junelynn
14 years ago

I am making dill pickles for the first time ever, for my neighbor. I AM using pickling cukes from my garden. I have a few questions:

1. Can I quarter them vs. halving them?

2. How LONG do I need to wait for him to EAT these pickles? A month?

3. How is it supposed to taste? All I remember from my childhood is that these kinds of pickles were sour. I don't think I've eaten one since. Should they taste sour and spicy? Sour and garlicky?? I know this is an individual thing, but maybe you could also describe how you think a good dill should taste if it were perfect!!

Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)

4 lbs pickling cukes

14 cloves garlic, peeled & split

1/4 cup salt

2 3/4 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar 5% acidity

2 3/4 cups water

12 to 14 sprigs fresh dill weed

28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; remove 1/16 inch from blossom end, cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

You can cut them into spears. They are somewhat tart and taste of dill, not garlicy or spicy. If you want more garlic taste, then add dried garlic, not more fresh. If you want the spicy or hot, add a dried chili to each jar.
    I add a pinch of sugar to my jars. Wait about a month to six weeks for the flavor to penetrate the cucumbers.
    Be sure to use pickling salt and not plain or other salt.

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Junelynn - I love this recipe and it is the only dill pickle that I make now. I've used it with cucumbers whole, halved, quartered, chunked, etc. As linda_lou said, if you like some spice add a pepper or some red pepper flakes. My family loves these!

Can't really describe the taste though. Just GOOD!

~ Tracy

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

For spears, the wait time for consuming can be down to 3 weeks after canning. If its whole cukes, it will take longer. Adding some Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) will improve crispness. A 50:50 ratio of water to vinegar is marginal, so you may want to consider using a bit more vinegar and a bit less water. There is also a dill pickle that calls for a few whole peppercorns per jar. I don't care for that, but others might. Fresh dill weed is OK, but you can also add fress dill seed heads (swelld green stage) if you like a more powerful dill taste. I like lots of dill taste and use a Mrs. Wages dill pickle mix as the basis, instead of the pickling salt. I also like using all vinegar and no water most of the time. Another option is slices like the 'stackers' from Vlassic, where they slice lengthwise for sandwiches. Keep in mind that any cuts of whole cukes will get soft a bit faster after they are canned, hence, the need for the Calcium Cloride (available from Bulk Foods).

• mjstl
    13 years ago

I was wondering if I could make the solution and use as needed to make small batches of these since I do not have enough plants to make big batches?

Also could I use dill seed instead of fresh dill? If so how much seed per pint?

Thx,
    Mike

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

As long as you keep the brine in the fridge it is fine to do that.
    Sure, I use dried dill weed or dried dill seed. Normally
    2T. per pint.

• mjstl
    13 years ago

Sorry to bother you again just makeing sure I have this right. It is ok for the pickle to be whole or slices or anywhere in between? 50/50 brine is ok (do you use white or cider)? And dried spices are ok?

Sorry it is so many questions just dont want to have to throw away.

Thanks again,

Mike

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I like cider vinegar. The white is too sharp for me. Yes, use dried spices or herbs. You can use fresh dill, but I actually like the flavor of the dried dill best. If you want a spicier pickle, then put a dried chili in each jar.
    You can cut the pickles how you like. I do spears or halves sometimes. My last ones were whole since I got the perfect sized cukes for them. Slices are fine, too.
    For cucumbers the 50/50 ratio is fine. Other vegetables often need a higher amount of vinegar.

• mjstl
    13 years ago

Thank you Linda Lou

Mike