Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowbunny_wi

Chocolate Raspberry Sauce

snowbunny_wi
12 years ago

I just made some of this tonight and I just wanted to say...AMAZING!

We didn't have a lot of ice cream left for me & hubby so I just had a smidge with ice cream & it was awesome then I tried some with some yougurt and mmm it was delish! I can't wait to try it on waffles.

If anyone has been thinking about making this, do it, you won't regret it!

Comments (12)

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I made some last year and love it, although it's almost to firm, despite not using pectin. I think next time I make it, I may use about half the chocolate. It's really almost too chocolaty, if there is such a thing.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I made some a week or so ago, just tried it over vanilla ice cream last night. I didn't let it set, still like a syrup so I just had it in fridge, didn't process (only made 2 jars). DH says it tastes like more! I did cut down on the chocolate, but is it really safe to can? I might try the BBB "Sundae in a Jar" recipe instead, but we'd prefer bittersweet chocolate to cocoa powder if it's safe.

I only had 1 lb of raspberries at the time, so used 300g of sugar (however many cups/ounces that turned out to be), and 2 oz of bittersweet chocolate. I didn't boil the mixture after I added the chocolate, just stirred it into the hot "jam" and then poured in jars to refrigerate.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I used Elle Topp's Recipe and went directly by the recipe. I think I'll cut the chocolate in half next time and process for a little less firmness on the set.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I halved the Ferber recipe I found on Greatest Hits thread, and cut down the chocolate even more (2 oz for half batch).

"From Mes Confitures by Christine Ferber.

Raspberry with Chocolate
    2 3/4 lbs (1.2 kg) raspberries, or 2 1/4 lbs (1 kg) net
    3 1/2 cups (750g) sugar
    Juice of one lemon
    9 oz (250g) extra bittersweet chocolate (68% cocoa)

Pick over the raspberries. Omit rinsing them so as to keep their fragrance. Put the raspberries through a food mill (fine disk).
    In a preserving pan, mix the raspberry pulp with the sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring gently and skimming carefully.
    Add the chocolate, grated. Mix and then pour into a ceramic bowl. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and refrigerate overnight.

Next day return the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring and skimming if needed. Return to a boil.
    Check the set. Put the jam into jars immediately and process this in a BWB for 10 minutes (use half-pint jars).

Notes:

After discussion with Melly, I used 4 oz bittersweet chocolate and 1 oz unsweetened. I used a mix of red and black raspberries but I think you want whatever berries have the richest, deepest flavor.

Good on ice cream, or swirled through yogurt, or spread on popovers."

I own Small Batch and didn't see any Chocolate Raspberry recipe in the index, can you post the Topp recipe? Thanks

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I don't know why we don't have raspberries in our area, the recipe sounds delicious!!!!!

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Oops, I meant to say that I used Ferber's recipe, too. Wonder what it would be like with blackberries. They are much more available in AZ than raspberries.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Raspberries and blackberries are pretty different tastes, I don't think I'd care for chocolate with blackberries. Brandy maybe (I think Linda Z has a recipe in Joy of Jams)?

I just used all the berries I picked this week for regular ole jam (added some to a bag of cranberries and 2C of sugar as an experiment too). Very seedy (though the cranberry version is less seedy). I probably should have put it through a sieve/foodmill, maybe even made the Chocolate sauce. But I was in a hurry. If there are any left to pick this weekend after the heat wave we've been having, I'll make more sauce.

Still wondering if the fat in chocolate (4oz for 2 - 2.25lb of berries, that should make 32 -48 oz of sauce) is safe to can?

• caavonldy
    12 years ago

I have used the chocolate with strawberries and they are wonderful. I can't keep them in my pantry without someone using them up.

• zabby17
    12 years ago

ajsmamma,

Very reliable, conservative canners have approved this recipe, and one for a raspberry chocolate jam that's circulated here.

Remember, it's not that NO fat can EVER be included in ANY canning, but that it shouldn't be used in untested recipes.

Lots of chutney and conserve recipes use nuts, which are high in fat. Ellie Topp has an Indonesian peanut sauce (which I LOVE, btw).

Z

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Zabby - is there another chocolate raspberry jam recipe floating around? I haven't seen it. BBB got me a little scared saying their "Sundae in a Jar" recipe was developed using cocoa powder to avoid the risks associated with chocolate.

I don't know if Ferber's recipes have been tested to US/Canadian standards?

I would love to substitute white chocolate to see how that is with raspberries (DS loves white chocolate) but considering that's all fat, that would have to be refrigerated!

• caboodle
    12 years ago

Tracy, I'm pretty sure we'd like this sauce made with blackberries. My husbands all-time favorite ice cream is a blackberry/chocolate ice cream I make. I think the flavors go very nicely together. Give it a try!

Judi

• gardengalrn
    12 years ago

I am going to try this recipe this week. I know fresh berries would be preferable but is there any sizable difference with frozen? The fresh would be costly but if it would be worth it....Lori

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional