Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Presto Pressure Canner ASAP

Posted by SneakyP86 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 23:01

I am trying to can my batch of Annie's Salsa but am having a problem understanding the manual. I says to add 3 quarts boiling water, but than there is also a line in the canner that is supposed to be the 3 quart line. But when I put 3 quarts of water in, it is nowhere close to the line. Tried canning with 3 quarts of water I couldn't get pressure to even start to raise at all. That was after about 15-20 minutes with the water boiling.Now if I m supposed to go by the line in the canner do I fill it to the line before or after putting the jars in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Presto Pressure Canner ASAP

If it makes a difference it is the 23 qt.

o

Got it figured out I think, pressure is rising and the weight stack is doing the Hippy Hippy Shake.

o

Need more info Pete. 3 quarts is usually plenty so have to find out why it didn't come up to pressure. Some use 3", some use 4" and this is before putting in the jars. Only time you'd need more is if it is a really long processing time.

Dave

o

I just used my new Presto canner last night. It said to use 3 quarts which came just a hair under that first measuring line. I am going ot have to get the weighted gauge though since the dial gauges are unreliable.

o

Well it seems that it was a combination of 2 different things. You will have to realize that I was making a triple batch of Annie's Salsa after working out in the garden in our 95 degree days we've been having here lately. So I was pretty danged tired by the time I got around to actually doing the canning part. I was using one of the smaller burners on the stove and even though the water was boiling I guess it didn't have quite the oomph it needed and the air vent/cover lock wasn't popping up all the way (first time I used the pressure cooker so maybe that's from the newness). But I moved the canner to a bigger burner and once the vent popped back up some I just pulled it up by hand and the pressure started building and everything was okey dokey from that point on. Thanx for the replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here