Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

Two pickle questions

btbarbara
12 years ago

I've been using the Ball pickle mix in a can so I can mix up just what I need to do the cukes I pick every day or so without letting them sit. I'm out of that now and it's not quite payday. My spice rack is seriously neglected (single mom with picky eaters...we have salt, pepper, and garlic!) A friend of mine swears by Mrs. Wage's pickle mix and she gave me a bag to try. Problem is, it calls for something like 6 lbs of cukes and I'm afraid they'll get soft if I try to save up that many before pickling. So what I'm wondering is, can the leftover juice that I don't use be stored in the fridge for a few days and then re-boiled to do another batch of pickles in a day or so? Or would it be better to just divide the "mix" and do a half-batch at a time? It would be hard to evenly distribute the seasonings that way.

Next question, I'm sure it's probably considered sacrilege in this forum to even talk about mixes like the Ball stuff or Mrs. Wage's but I've been thrilled with what I've done so far. Maybe when I try a "real" recipe I'll see the light and never go back. Anyway, I keep reading that you need to use twice as much vinegar as water (at least) for the recipe to be safe but both the Ball mix and Mrs. Wages call for about half as much vinegar as water. Is that because of "stuff" that's already in the mix or what? They both call for BWB the pickles so it's not that they're not supposed to be shelf-stable. Just curious.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County