Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes and no time to work with them

Posted by GeneTheNewGuy none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 23:17

I need some help please. I have a very small garden but I picked about 10 pounds of small tomatoes. They are little yellow pears (really tasty) and red small ones, sorta oblong, not round (if that means anything). Anyway, I've been working a lot lately and by the time I get home time is very short. They couldn't wait for the weekend or they would have been bad. So I just blanched them by the handful, put them in ice water, then put them in gallon size freezer bags and put them in my freezer.

What would you have done? I am hoping that I can, when I have more time, thaw them out and make something good out of them, and can them? Or just use them from the frozen state.

They still have their skins, some skins came off, some did not, but it all went in the freezer. I guess I will deal with that issue when time to use them.

Any and all suggestions, recommendations and recipes will be most welcome. Thanks Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes and no time to work with them

I would have thrown them into a pot, blanched, peeled/seeded them...then crushed them in a blender and simmered for a while ...

then cool and put into freezer bags flat...

o

I would have just washed them, cut out the cores and tossed them whole into a freezer bag and into the freezer. They don't need to be blanched.

When they thaw the peels slip right off and they are ready to do whatever you want with them.

Freezing tomatoes whole for later processing, with or without the cores, is a very common practice and frequently discussed here.

Dave

o

It sounds like these are more the "cherry" type tomatoes, yes?

If so, I'd have just washed and stemmed, tossed into a ziploc bag. Use later in sauces, soups. I never peel the little ones.
You could thaw and use for salsa with fresh ingredients (pepper, onion, etc.). I'd give them a quick chop (by hand or food processor) while still semi-frozen, then combine with other chopped veggies.

Thaw slowly in a skillet and let them reduce and cook off most of the water, add seasonings of your choice to make pasta sauce, enchilada sauce, etc.

You can also thaw in a strainer (save the juice for soup base), and run through a food mill to make tomato sauce either to freeze or can.

Deanna

o

I agree with what Dave said:

"Freezing tomatoes whole for later processing, with or without the cores."

I have just washed them thrown them in a bag and froze them too.

It works great when you are pushed for time, which I am very often. It is also good when you are only getting a few, too many to eat, but not enough to break out the equipment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here