Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coho_gw

Stewed Tomatoes with bread

coho
16 years ago

My Mother made a dish which consisted of stewed tomatoes with bread cooked in the tomatoes. We called called it Tomato Bread. May have had cream or milk in it along with salt and pepper.

Would anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

Thank you

Comments (8)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Obviously that is not a canned item, but from what your describing, its probably easy to make as a meal. Kind of like using bread instead of pasta. I have seen some italian sauces that use cream mixed with tomato sauce, and its color is a very light red, and quite rich.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe I saved, but haven't tried yet. It makes my mouth water.

Once you link to the recipe, on Recipezaar.com, you can look at other recipes for this as well. Try searching on "bread soup".

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato and Bread Soup

• readinglady
    16 years ago

There are lots of variations of that old recipe. Here's a Mennonite one I used to make. It's been many years now since I re-visited the recipe, so I can't swear it would still taste as good to me, but I remember at the time it was pretty darned good. The quality of the bacon, the bread, the tomatoes makes a huge difference.

Ruth's Tomato Casserole

4 slices bacon, cut in 1" pieces
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cups peeled and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
    2 cups bread cubes
    3 T. light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt (opt.)

In a heavy skillet fry the bacon and onion until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, bread cubes, sugar and salt and mix until well blended. Pour into a buttered 2-quart casserole and bake preheated 350° 30 minutes. Serves 4-6.

This recipe is different from the one we had at home, which was basically the canned tomatoes, stale bread or biscuits and brown sugar without meat served as a side-dish. Old-fashioned comfort food.

If you do a google search for tomato and bread pudding, which is what my family used to call it, you'll find a lifetime's worth of recipes.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato and Bread Pudding

• coho
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all. It wasn't baked. I think I found what I was hopeing to find.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

coho, I remember that from when I was a kid too. Grandma used to just take cubes of bread, pour the tomatoes over it and serve it. Salt and pepper finished it off.

Now I toast the bread cubes, heat the tomatoes, pour over the bread and add a sprinkling of parmesan. Upscale peasant food, LOL.

Annie

• coho
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie,
    Thats pretty much it. Grandmas memory is clear today.
    Heat the tomatoes to a simmer.
    add butter, salt, pepper, a little sugar with 1 t flour mixed. add stale bread, heat well and serve. I still think my Mother added a little cream or whole milk. So now I have four ways to try for the one best taste.
    coho

• racelady
    11 years ago

My Mom used this recipe, now I do.
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    3/4 t salt
    3 T sugar
    1 1/2 T butter
    1C or more, stale bread cubes. I like Italian bread.

Heat tomatoes , then add rest of ingredients, except bread. Simmer slowly for maybe 1/2 hour. Add bread cubes and serve.
    Feel free to add more or less butter, or bread

• msdonnie
    11 years ago

We love "breaded tomatoes"! This side dish was a standard served at my high school cafeteria (decades ago).
    I use any style tomatoe: fresh, frozen or canned. I cook them down a bit to reduce the watery juice; add a little salt; 1 to 2 TB sugar depending on the amount of tomatoes; can also add some chopped fresh basil if desired. When I have the desired consistency I then stir in the bread pieces (reserve some for topping). Then place in a baking dish (individual ramikins or 1 quart casserole); Gently stir the reserved bread chunks (just enough to get a bit of juice on them) Dot the whole thing with butter pats; a little sprinkle of sugar and bake for approx. 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned. Yum, yum!!