Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Measuring Amounts

Posted by GeneTheNewGuy none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 23:27

Ok I am the new guy, a rookie, so I need to ask some questions that may seem silly, but I want to make very sure that I am safe and accurate in food preservation.

For example, when a recipe calls for a cup of liquid or a cup or sugar, does it matter if you use a pyrex measuring cup or a one cup measuring cup thing? Do you always measure liquids in a pyrex measuring cup and dry ingredients in a measuring cup? I hope I am making sense, not sure what else to call a measuring cup.

The reason I ask is that someone told me to be careful because they are NOT the same but she could not tell me why or tells me where to verify it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Gene the new guy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Measuring Amounts

Not silly at all and it can be confusing. But a cup is a cup either way.

Here's the best answer I have ever found for why there are 2 different forms of measuring cups. It is copied from InfoPlease.

A liquid cup and a solid cup are exactly the same size. This can be easily verified by measuring a cup of water in a liquid measuring cup and pouring it into a one-cup dry measuring cup: they take up the same amount of space.

Why have different equipment, then? The primary reason is that a solid measuring cup is designed to be filled to the top, with any excess being scraped off with a knife. This is great for things like sugar and flour, but filling a cup to the brim is too messy and impractical for liquids. Conversely, liquid measuring cups are transparent, and can be easily filled to the proper lines while leaving space at the top; however, filling something up to a line partway through a cup is hard to do evenly with solids.

Another reason is that solids pack more tightly when they're given a wider space in which to spread out. Liquid measuring cups are usually wider than solid measuring cups, which can result in them holding more granular substances by weight when filled normally. This does not mean solid cups are a different size or somehow more accurate, but since the author of the recipe probably used a solid cup for solids and a liquid cup for liquids, your best bet is to do the same.

OK?

Dave

o
RE: Measuring Amounts

Thanks. That made a lot of sense. I think the person talking to me was misinformed. I'll be back with more silly, er, uh, basic questions.
Thanks again
The New Guy, Rookie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here