Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouser

Toms and food mills

greenhouser
15 years ago

Are you guys cooking or softening your toms before putting them through your food mills?

Comments (49)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NO, no need of PREPPING or doing ANYTHING when using the proper food strainer. When I run the toms through, the only thing thats done to them is to cut into halves or smaller to fit them into the mills throat. The design is such that so much pressure is created that its just enough to press the toms against the sieve holes and move them down a smaller and smaller sprialed channel out the opposite end. I must admit that I don't like watery sauces either. They can be cooked down some, but that takes away some of the delicate flavor. Most of the toms I grow are paste or plum types. I plant maybe 6 varieties of all shapes and sizes. Cut into halves and run my thumb over the open surfaces of the cuts to push out some/most of the liquid and seeds. Not being too fussy there, its only to reduce the amount of water. The strained product looks more like a puree or thick sauce, as opposed to a tomato juice texture. Works for me. Now, if it were for WHOLE toms, the machine would obviously not be useful. Instead, you dip the whole toms into boiling water a few seconds and then in cold water. The skins usually slip right off. Only issue there is what to do with all the seeds? For whole canned its fine however. One of my favorite meaty types is the Ox Heart tomato. These are big, very meaty (pulpy) and have few seeds and liquid. The trade off there is that its a sacrifice for good strong flavor. They do have tomato flavor by themselves, but lack that really sweet and positive taste. Almost kind like a cross between a good home grown and a decent store bought. The info you seek has been posted here in many other threads too, but is not as obvious unless a lot of reading is done. I am discussing the use of a food strainer that is mentioned and pictured in many other threads as the Roma, Villaware, Victorio, Prago, Weston, and so many more names its not funny anymore.
    Do not run any hot items through these as it can cause excessive wear to the hard plastic spiral auger.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My ex-husband had the auger kind to make his sauce so I'm familiar with them. The one I have has a rotating drum with 2 "paddles" that force the toms against the screen. They're Roma meaty toms and the sauce that came out was near perfect in consistency. Simmering about 15 mins had it just the way we like it. They're being WB as I type this. I may just buy the auger type. I know I skip some messages here but aren't some people having difficulty finding the very one you recommend due to all the name changes of the product?

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The link to eBay I provided a while back had many brand names and photos of various designs both OLD AND NEW. The most common type now is of the photos that showed the red and white color machine. I suggested brand names of Norpro, Roma, Victorio, Back to Basics, Garden Way Squeezo, Vintantonio, Weston, and more.. Stay away from Foley, and that cheap crappy plastic Velox.

Again, ANY of the above will work, but the newer, and improved versions will offer less, to no leaking and more distance for the waste to get out the end of the sieves. Additionally, as in the photo, you do NOT see any big wingnuts on the sides of the metal housing, as the newer models use twist on screen sieves with a small thumb screw to hold them in place. I sold my very old Vctorio, with wooden pusher, leaky shaft, no waste extender and no spatter screen. Keeping it, and using it would have given me an all red kitchen eventually!

Am I beating a dead horse here?

{{gwi:875174}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Strainers on eBay

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're not beating a dead horse. I think I'll invest in one of these. I'm not expecting any more medical bills. That last one was a real surprise. Thank God I'm in good health. If I wasn't, I'd be destitute with what Drs charge these days and what Ins. co's avoid paying.

Do you have to push the toms down the chute as you turn the handle? Is that what that "pusher" is for? Is that clamp strong enough to keep the mill in one place as you turn the handle?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Are you guys cooking or softening your toms before putting them through your food mills?

As mentioned in the past in response to your question, the answer depends on which type of mill you are using. The kind pictured above by Ken does NOT require pre-processing but it can be done if you wish to make it easier to process. The type you bought from the hardware store and from the Napa store DO require pre processing.

greenhouser - are you bookmarking or using the "clippings" feature provided here to save your questions and the answers? Please do. That way you can refer back to them rather than posting a new question on the same topic. It is very easy to do and it sure saves rehashing all these same questions over and over.

Dave

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know how to use "clip" an individual post here. I get a blank posting window like this one I'm typing in.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

See the green "clippings" logo just to the right of every post on this thread? Has a pair of scissors and says clip this post email this post etc. Kind of hard to miss it.

All you have to do is click on the clip this post line (you are clicking on the email this post part) and it takes it to your personal My Clippings page here and then asks you if you want to save it Public or Private. Click one of the choices and from then on it is saved on your page where you can go to it whenever you want.

As an alternative all you have to do is use your browser to bookmark pages so you can go right to them whenever you want. Bookmarking pages is a basic browser tool.

Dave

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll see about clipping them. I have too many things book marked already.

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Now, since I've figured out how the clipping tool works I find it to be great. I gotta say, it isn't the most intuitive process. Still, once I got the hang of it it worked out well.

The clipping is saved to your Gardenweb profile so it won't increase your bookmarks. To access your saved clippings you open your profile. There's a place that lets you open your clippings file from there.

The blank box you see when you first save a clipping is for your notes about the thread you've "clipped". For example, if the thread contains a recipe but the title of the tread doesn't make it obvious I put something like "Black Forest Preserve recipe half way down" in the notes. That way I know that if I scan about half way down the entire thread I'll find the recipe. Once I've made my notes I click the "save clipping" button a little to the right just below the box. It's kind of hard to read.

It's really made saving favorite threads a lot easier. =)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

See ya learn something new every day. I nver used a 'clip' here. Just control C and control V if needed.

• vall3fam
    15 years ago

greenhouser,

I just got one of these very models this summer and have been using it this week. Easy, easy, easy! The food mill is well built with sturdy plastic and metal. It clamps tightly onto my table and holds a bunch of tomatoes in the top.

To prepare the tomatoes, you just wash them and cut into quarters. The top hopper holds at least a 1/2 gallon or more of tomatoes and you just start plunging them with the the plastic tamper and turn the handle. Seeds and skin push out one end and tomato juice/pulp out the chute.

I did about 30 pounds on Wednesday (actually, my 14 year old son provided the labor) and it took longer to wash and cut the tomatoes than to process them through the mill.

I got this along with four other screens at a place called Ultimate Nourishment. They have a package deal and no shipping charges. Even with shipping, I couldn't find it cheaper. I can now see this is the way to go. Even my unimpressed DH was amazed at what it could do!

I can't wait to use it on apples and other items later!

Elaine

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Elaine: I'm so glad to hear that. I hope mine gets here soon as my tomatoes are now starting to come in. I ordered it from Amazon but it comes with the one screen. I know there are other screens I can buy if I need them. Or for in a pinch I have the heavy duty Foley-type mill with 3 screens.

whynotmi: I looked at it but wasn't sure how it worked. If it's not intuitive, easy to grasp, I usually don't figure them out.

• valereee
    15 years ago

Greenhouser, my strainer is backordered from Amazon -- it's supposed to be here mid-August. I also ordered the salsa screen, and it's arrived already.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ordered it from Amazon but it's coming from:

www.UnbeatableSale.com

I'm supposed to have it in 8 days or less. :)

• mad_about_mickey
    15 years ago

Greenhouser~ is the machine you are talking about the red body with a white drum and two metal paddles? It has a suction cup type bottom thing?

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No. It's metal with a white plastic hopper and red plastic pusher thing. It has a suction foot or a clamp. You can use one or both. It's like Ken's except the bottom is different. It has ROMA stamped on the side. The only negatives are even with the seal it leaks around the crank. And after every 3 hopper loads of tomatoes, the screen clogs and must be removed and cleaned/cleared... a real PIA.

This is the one I have. You can't see the clamp in the back. {{gwi:912261}}

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention it as a clear plastic chute the seeds and skins come out of that goes over the end. It cracked already.

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Do the tomatoes come out of these machines as a puree or is it somewhat chunky? Based on the fine holes in the screen it looks like it delivers a fine puree.

TomNJ

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Depending on the screen used, you can get a minced texture if you use the optional Salsa screen. In the photo, it also appears that the screen holes are much finer, like the one used for seedy berries. Usually the true ROMA models will have a screen that comes with the unit, and the berry screen is optional, and has smaller holes. This may explain the issue of clogging. The one shown in the Greenhousers' photo is a model I have never seen before except here. Most have a screw clamp base and that clear plastic piece that extends the waste out further is a bit more rugged. Mine has never leaked and even after a bushel of tomatoes, it will not need any cleaning of the sieve or auger. There is also a spring that applies pressure to the auger so its always being pushed into the taper of the screens. Suggest that if you do get one, that you choose the one that I have pictured and explained in detail. Coming from China may mean that these are knockoffs and counterfiet units too. Many items made in China are look-a-likes, and lack the higher quality of the real designs. This may explain the reason for the shaft leaking, and other things. I would hate to have a suction cup hold mine to a counter, as they don't hold very well. Worst, your loaded hopper with tomatoes, and the cuction cup releases by accident. The whole thing tips over and your tomatoes get dumped out.

You get qet you pay for..

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Thanks! Very interesting as skinning a bushel of tomatoes by dipping in boiling/cold water is the most time consuming part of my canning days.

I like my salsa and sauces chunky - would a salsa screen still take out the seeds, which are much smaller than the chunks? Mind you I preferred leaving the seeds in, so the largest hole screen available that just removes skins would be best for me.

I couldn't find the brand of strainer you own in this thread - is there one in particular you recommend?

Thanks!

TomNJ

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It comes as like puree. That's how we like it for sauce or juice.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are apparently various versions of this same mill. Mine has 4 screens, from fine to coarse. The Weston Roma as shown in the picture is Made in China. I can use a coarser screen, but then too many seeds are in the sauce.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Tom - you do NOT want this one.

Or this one.

This one seems to work fine for many of us but not for others so maybe it isn't the best choice but it is better than hand peeling.

{{gwi:912259}} It is the best if you can find one as they are no longer made. It is the one most of us recommend. You see them for sale on eBay sometimes along with the older model Squeezo brand.

{{gwi:912260}} and is ok (it replaced the Victorio) if you can't find a Victorio. You can see that there are clear differences between them.

Shop around. You will find a very wide price range on them. There is no need to pay extra for all the other screens if tomatoes is your main use for it. The basic one that comes with it is the tomato screen and makes a good juicy puree with no seeds or skins. If you want bigger chunks (and more seeds) then you will need the salsa screen (extra option).

Hope this helps.

Dave

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We like the smaller Napa mill better (see below). It doesn't clog or leak and is much easier to clean. The negative is the out-chute is too close to the table allowing only a low bowl to catch the puree. We do a lot of toms at a time so have to keep dumping the bowl every few seconds (or so it seems). Also, whereas the other type leaves a lot of juice and puree in the waste, you have to run the waste through at least twice to get it. With the Napa mill the waste comes out completely spent. The toms go through only once.

{{gwi:912262}}

• ronnywil
    15 years ago

If you have a KitchenAid mixer their, processor attachment is the way to go. I tried to find one of the ones mentioned above and no one had it in stock. I was going through some stuff in the pantry and found the KitchenAid attachment, my mother had forgotten about it and had never used it for tomatoes. It is great! Just run the the tomatoes through it and the skins and seeds come out the end, just like the other without cranking. Run what comes out the end through a couple of times and there is no waste. It's more expensive but this one is twenty-five years old and has been used to process apples for applesauce, pumpkins for pie and tomatoes for sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Strainer

• mad_about_mickey
    15 years ago

The one I have is very similar to the one in digdirts 1st picture. It is old. It has a metal handle not plastic. I have used it reliably and have no problems with leaking or clogging. The name on mine is Moplen -says it was made in Italy.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They may not be made there anymore. More and more things are being made in China than ever before. My ex-husband had one of these many years ago and his leaked from the crank also. His had the clamp like Ken's. I never used it so don't know if it clogged. I don't remember him mentioning it. He ordered it through one of his Organic Gardening or Mother Earth type magazines.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The older Victorio was a real leaker. I had to put a bowl on the floor below the crank. It may be that this new Roma Weston was a substitute for the clamp type.
    As to salsa screen. The biggest holed screen has 3/16 inch round holes. It can even remove MOST of the skins, and will give you some seeds. To get a thicker salsa and less seeds, cut the toms in halves and scoop out some of the liquid and seeds before they go into the machine-

Here are some ebay sites for the CORRECT model-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VillaWare-200-Food-Tomato-Strainer-Sauce-Maker_W0QQitemZ110281215560QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    NorPro model-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NORPRO-Sauce-Master-Food-Strainer-NEW_W0QQitemZ220270788647QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NORPRO-Sauce-Master-Food-Strainer-NIB-NEW_W0QQitemZ320290247245QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomato-Sauce-Maker-Food-Strainer-Apple-Sauce_W0QQitemZ150286667012QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• sweetnss423
    15 years ago

I had purchased a Back To Basics Food Strainer and Sauce Maker Model 200 off of Ebay. When I was bidding on this item I was fully aware that it was missing the Standard Spiral, I was thinking nothing of it. I thought I will just order the part when I get it in the mail. Well I did the searching and they don't make the Model 200 or parts for it. I called the company, and they directed me to a company that you cannot even get a hold of. So before I go through the return process with this person on Ebay, I was wondering if there are any parts from other companies that make food strainers that will work with this one? Anyone that can help me please get in touch with me.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Not familiar with that brand name. Perhaps it is one of the new copy-cat brands. Is this what it looks like?

This is the 220 model and the parts should be interchangable. Did it come with any screens? If so then how do they attach to the grinder? If it is twist on with a set screw lock down then the basic creens from any of the similar models should work.

Dave

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

From my experience the Back to Basics food strainer uses the older style wing nut strainers. I had one, and used the older Victorio stainers which were also wing nuts on the sides. The crank shaft also leaked badly like the older Victorio. Some of its funnel/hopper parts were needing adapters for an odd sized opening. Since buying the Villaware and seeing the newer ones. The screens are now twist on and the crank shaft as a very good seal.

All is not lost, you can still use the grape spiral auger instead. Its a bit shorter in length to allow grape seeds to pass through the end. Its usually found as part of the optional screens package. I also believe there is a heavy spring that is required at the larger end of the auger, so pressure is applied when the auger pushes food through the strainers. These are NOT grinders, they are food strainers.

Check out the link below for many other brands and models. Some are made for mass production too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food strainers

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

Thought I'd throw in another "testimonial" for the Kitchen Aide mixer food mill. I've used mine for years and can't imagine canning without it.
    You can cook the tomatoes first or not, works the same either way.
    If my tomatoes are juicy (usually a variety of whatever is ready at the time) I like to put mine in a steamer juicer first to draw some water off of them before making the sauce. I'm usually making spaghetti sauce or want a thicker sauce so this saves me cooking time after milling them.
    Kitchen aid also just came out with (or I just discovered it) a food tray extension attachment that works great with the food mill too. Really expands the size of the hopper.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the one I have. They're made in China, very heavy duty and well made, but the shaft leaks where the crank enters. It's quite a bit bigger than it appears in the picture.

We also have this one. It's smaller but doesn't leak and is easier to clean. The screen doesn't clog either. It's made in Italy.

{{gwi:912262}}

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

I love my GardenWay Squeezo and always cook my tomatoes before putting through. I use it primarily to make my veggie juice cocktail. Tomatoes are cooked down with peppers, onions, celery, carrots and a few greens. Mine is all metal and the bowl is much larger than the one pictured. No plastic parts on mine. It does have the wing nuts. Wish it had a spatter shield. I do rig one up with aluminum foil.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

After reading all of this info again, I have concluded that the best of these models is still the last model Villaware unit. It has no leaking shaft, and the only non metal part inside is the spiral auger. If the auger were metal, it would quickly wear out the screens and break holes into them. It has the very necessary full spatter screen, easily clipped on/off, and the twist on screens, as well as a screw on clamp base. Spatter screens were not supplied on older Victorio models, as thy had a small tapered tray to catch just teh stuff that drips off the scrainer. Many of my photos and links still show this model in a few name brands. Made in China might be ok, but, as you wrote, it leaks, and suction cup attachments are not as reliable. The Kitchen Aid one, might be fine, just for tomatoes, but unless you also have the power portion of a KA it can be quite expensive. I have provided a recent link to the many brands and models that show most all of the slightly different designs in several photos. Anyone can rave about a nice canning tool, but if in the same sentence, then state it leaks are lacks enough capacity, ro needs some kind or pre-prepping, is simply a waste of extra time. With the motor unit on mine, its just feed and push, and the sauce quickly fills a big bowl, or shallow baking pan. The only thing I may do to get a thicker sauce, is to cut the toms in half, and dig out the watery goo and some seeds, which takes no time at all. You end up with a sauce thats close to ketchup in thickness. Before buying one, ask the ale dept to describe its attachment means, the flush to body crank shaft, as well as full spatter screens and twist on strainers. With these 4 basic needs explained, the food strainer should be the most efficient tool for not tomatoes, but for berries, apple sauce, and salsa, as well as many other foods that require straining, or removing wast parts like seeds and skins. Because a 'Squeezo' is an older name for a similar product, as you can see, its still lacking a few of the newer majr improvements. Many times people are looking for as cheap as possible, and end up buying a frustrating older models, or different design. Sometimes the cheap comes out expensive and thats shown a lot in this single thread. I cannot say anything negative about my most recent unit, and have even saved as many as the usable parts from the older Back To Basics, as it too had no shaft seal, but did have most of the improvements shown on more recent models. I use it at least once per year, and with all the stuff I can, its a real help to get these items prepared for canning. Reposting the same photos over an over again in the same thread, isnt appreciated as it simply wastes more redundent posts. I ony repeat when I feel its necessary, or a new thread is created, and insist on defending this really well designed unit that has never given me a single negiat experience or design issues. As shown in my most recent link, the totally all metal unit is pricey and has no plastic parts and is made in USA, The Roma model is the closest to mine, and is made in Italy, at the bottom of the link page, this, unit has no optional screens, but 'may' fit the newer twist on ones. The site has many types and choice, and getting the best advice from a person who has used most of these models, and has not a single negative issue, muts be telling you that I defend this device very much.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It leaks around the seal as I mentioned before. It has a seal and the seal is brand new. It also come with a very heavy clamp so it can be clamped to a table. I use both the suction, which is very strong and the clamp. It doesn't move or slip when used. I have the optional screens and grape screw for it. Roma is now made in China.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I don't cook mine prior to putting thru a food mill.
    Either I use the neighbors Squeezo, or, if I have less quantity of maters I halved the maters, run them thru the Cuisinart food processor, skins and all then the Foely Food Mill

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

leaking shaft is due to a poor O ring seal, or bad surface where it comes in contact with the metal bushing sleeve. Mine has a totally flat against the body type drive screw, where the crank pushes into a slot that is flush with the hosing. Roma may be China, but was initally the original version of the Italian made Villaware. I have no suction cup, or any other means of attachment, but the screw on clamp at the base. As mentioned, I have NEVER seen any dripping from the shaft at any time even after an hour of continual use. The shaft has an E ring clip on the inside of the housing bushing, to prevent it from moving out the front of the housing. a big spring is first inserted onto the inside shaft and then the auger, then twist on conical sieves. Unless your setting up the maching wrong, suggest that you remove the leaking shaft, clean and remove ANY debris, from both surfaces (shaft and removal of O ring), as well as applying a small amount of vegetable oil to teh O ring and its bushing. Made in China means its not as high h quality as the originals were, thats the main reaosn the link I provided offers many similar looking types and higher ended ones.

Seeds and skins of tomatoes tend to add bitterness to any sauces. I removed all skins and seeds, and ran the mixture in a blender for many minutes in hopes of breaking down the seeds. I cooked it down and tasted it, ugh, very bitter! tossed it out!!

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

busylizzy: We don't use the Foley for tomatoes. It's faster to use the Roma or Napa food mill. We pre-cook them as they go through both mills faster that way.

Ken: The only ones I saw that may not have been made in China were in well over $100. We have things made in China that are very high quality. Not everything they produce is poor quality junk.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Again, they may be are now made in China, but when I bought mine about 10+ years ago, it was Villaware and not Roma and was Italian made. It cost me only $70 for the machine and its accessories. What you have is a Chinese 'clone'... Sorry. My older Back to Basics looks more like the orignal Victorio machine with leaky shaft and wing nut sieves dating back more that 30+ years ago. I also inherited my parents old Victorio, so I have used all of the various models so far, except the newest ones.

• sweetnss423
    15 years ago

I had called the Back to Basics company which is now known as Focus Electronics. They made the Model 200 Food Strainer, updated it to the Model 220, but the 220 parts don't fit the 200 Model. So I had called the company, which the customer service lady didn't know anything about the company, told me to call another company to see if anyone could answer my questions there, needless to say I couldn't get through with them. From what I can gather on my own, I think that I can use the Model 200 replacement part from another company. It seems risky, I don't know what to do.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

It will only either work or it wont. You can always ask what a return policy is. The differences may only be minor as cosmetices, but without actual measurements of the shaft and and the diameter of the spiral, etc, your at the mercy of try and try again. Once in China, these things lose all communication with the original maker, which is a big problem now, unless you have relatives living there. Worst case, you wasted a few bucks, but if your lucky you have a complete unit again. I would suspect that an eBay seller was happy to 'unload' a machine like that if it was missing a part or two..

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

As I said above, if the screen from the 220 mounts the same way as it does on the 200 - set screw or clamp - then it should fit. But as Ken said if it doesn't you can always return it assuming you order from a reputable dealer.

Dave

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Another "jem"..

• joe-il
    14 years ago
  • wiringman
    14 years ago

well i did not see any one talk about the "green machine". it is very costly but worth it. it is a twin cam masticating juicer that is only 110 rpm.
    i can juice wheat grass and even make Hebrew bread with it. the only thing i have not been able to juice with it is citrus.
    when the garden is on i make raw salsa with it. i put the toms the garlic the onions the hot peppers and maybe cilantro through it and add salt and mix it up with a spoon.
    i have 9 children and when they were younger i would have to make a gallon of the salsa and get one of those big bags of corn chip. we would sit around the table and eat it like candy.
    they have a less expensive model that does not have all the attachments. works just as well.
    i am glad i went to the expense to get this juicer.

WM

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

A juicer is a differnet machine compared to the food strainer mentioned here. A juicer also extracts just the juices from hard foods like carrots too. A food strainer squeezes out all the juice and pulp and leaves skins and seeds behind when it comes to tomatoes. The food strainer with the salsa screen can mince tomatoes and still take out some seeds and most skin. I think peppers and onions can also be run through the food strainer to give you minced bits too. I was given a juicer, but found it wasn't useful for any of my recipes and canning.

• yuperrose
    13 years ago

Stupid question. What is the difference between a food mill and a juicer...essentially? If you already have a juicer, won't it do the same thing...as long as you all you want is a sauce?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

What type of juicer are we talking about? Steam or powered squeezing?

They really are two different mechanical process, or actually 3 different ones - steam, squeezing, and a food mill. Different mechanical processes produce different results. You have to decide which type of results you prefer.

The only example I can give off hand is with tomatoes. My Victorio food mill produces a much thicker and smoother consistency juice/sauce than my electric juicer. It requires much less cooking down for ideal consistency. The electric is more watery and less pulp, less meat. My Foley food mill has the pulp but it produces a more coarse texture and more seeds get through it.

Dave