Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving plum in alcohol

Posted by davimink 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 23:38

I have vodka, mason jars, raw honey, and plums. I am hoping to make something strong and sweet for the winter.
I would like a recipe though and I have many questions:
How strong does the vodka have to be in order to make it shelf stable? I heard it was at least 40 proof but not very sure.
Do ripe plums work better or should they be fairly firm?
Do I cut the plums to segments or plunge it whole?
What about the seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving plum in alcohol

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 11:43

Q. How strong does the vodka have to be in order to make it shelf stable? I heard it was at least 40 proof but not very sure.
A. All vodka sold in the US must be at least 40% alcohol which translates to 80 proof.

Q. Do ripe plums work better or should they be fairly firm?
A. I tend to use fruit at the peak of flavor/ripeness, but overripe fruit is not necessarily bad. The riper fruit tends to be a bit harder to strain out of the alcohol to get a clearer end product, so you'll lose a bit of volume the more you have to strain it.

Q. Do I cut the plums to segments or plunge it whole?
A. The bigger the pieces, the easier to strain at the end. I usually cut them at least in half depending on the size of the fruit. But it's up to you. No hard and fast rules.

Q. What about the seeds?
A. Yes, any stone fruit should be pitted.

One "recipe" can be found in the Jamlady Cookbook:

"As a rule of thumb, a pound of any fruit or berries can be put with 3 cups of vodka (or equal parts of grain alcohol - also called Everclear - and water) plus 1 to 1 1/4 cups of sugar to make a fruit liqueur."

I like to add a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brandy as well. Any spirits can be used - gin goes well with plums if you like gin :-) Mostly I use vodka due to its somewhat neutral taste.

Hope that helps.

o
RE: Preserving plum in alcohol

Don't forget to eat the plums! LOL

I know a guy that makes some "kind of illegal" whiskey with all kinds of fruit. It's only illegal because he makes too much according to the Feds. He doesn't sell it, he just likes to share!

I agree with Malna, remove the pits, they can make it bitter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here