Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Gingered Peach Jam ?

highalttransplant
14 years ago

I ran across this recipe online, and wondered if this can this be processed using the BWB method, and if so, how long should I boil?

Ginger Peach Jam Recipe

Ingredients

Â4-1/2 cup ripe peaches peeled and cubed

Â1/4 cup crystallized ginger finely chopped

Â6 cups sugar

Â1 box fruit pectin

Directions

1.Peel and pit peaches then finely chop or grind and pour into sauce pot and add ginger.

2.Measure sugar and set aside.

3.Mix fruit pectin into fruit in sauce pot then place over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a full boil.

4.Immediately add all sugar and stir.

5.Bring to a full rolling boil and boil 1 minute stirring constantly.

6.Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon.

7.Ladle quickly into hot jars then fill to 1/8 inch of tops.

8.Wipe jar rims and threads.

9.Cover with two piece lids.

10.Screw bands tightly.

11.Invert jars for 5 minutes then turn upright.

12.After 1 hour check seals.

Have any of you tried this type of jam before? It sounds interesting, but would love to hear from someone that's actually tasted it before.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Comments (7)

• joybugaloo
    14 years ago

OOH! This sounds DELISH! Now I'm going to have to try it, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

It definitely should be water-bathed to assure the safety of the product. I would do ten minutes for half-pints and 15 for pints.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious (my food blog)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Joybugaloo! You were exactly right. After digging around a while more, I found an almost identical recipe at Kraft Foods, and it said process in BWB for 10 min.

My DH bought me some crystallized ginger, thinking you ate it like candy, LOL, so now I'm trying to find some use for it. I'm open to other ginger recipes if anyone has one!

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

A great recipe using Crystallized, candied ginger is: Triple Ginger Cookies. Grated fresh ginger, ginger powder, and chopped crystallized ginger. The best ginger snap you'll ever eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple Ginger Cookies

• zabby17
    14 years ago

> My DH bought me some crystallized ginger, thinking you ate it like candy, LOL

I do! ;-)

But also like it in recipes. Ellie Topp has a gingered rhubarb jam along the same lines as the peach one (which sounds lovely!).

Love the ginger snaps recipe, though! Definitely must try for Christmas....

Z

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zabby, I did taste one piece, but I don't think I could eat the whole bag that way : ) I'll have to wait until next year to try the Gingered Rhubarb Jam. I put in two rhubarb plants, one last fall, and another I grew from seed this spring, so I won't be able to harvest any until next spring.

Kathy, I make the gingerbread man cookies with the kids every Christmas, but I have never tried the fresh or crystallized ginger in them before. I'll print that out, and give that one a try.

Thanks for the ideas!

Bonnie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also eat crystallized ginger like candy, and it's great for motion sickness instead of dramamine. I always add half a cup or so of chopped crystallized ginger to my Grandma's old molasses cookie recipe too, I love the stuff.

Bonnie, jam is mostly all fruit and sugar, with some pectin. I water bath all of my jam recipes for 10 minutes, even the old ones that just called for open kettle canning or paraffin.

I don't get seal failures with BWB the way Grandma did with paraffin or open kettle type recipes. Even Grandma switched to BWB and never looked back, she hated having the seal failures after all the work and ingredients that went into her jam.

Oh, and thanks for the recipe, it sounds awesome and would be great in those thumbprint cookies with the jam in the middle. Yum.....

Annie

• joybugaloo
    14 years ago

I just made a yummy aprium-raspberry cobbler with two disks of crystallized ginger ground up in it last weekend. I'll link to the recipe below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious Aprium-Raspberry Cobbler

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions