Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Pickle Crisp?

bcskye
14 years ago

Did anyone ever find out why they stopped making Pickle Crisp available? I still have a whole container.

Comments (16)

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

I think it is still available. I just think that shelf space has gotten more valuable and they don't sell much any more.
    I went on the web and looked for a place to buy Morton's Tender Quick within 50 miles and I live in So. Calif. The results came back that in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States, no one sells it here.
    Again, I guess there is so little demand.
    As Ken Rogers would say, go to bulkfoods.com and buy it in bulk as calcium chloride. It is cheaper to buy it that way than by a brand name product in the grocery or hardware store.
    Regards - Jim McNulty

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I contacted Ball and they told me they lost their supplier.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Yes, thats true, the calcium chloride supplier has chosen to make only the non food grade type and a type for commercial canning only. When Ball comes out with new products many never make it past a single year. I found many odd and unusual Ball products at Big Lots, and none of them were ever sold elsewhere. Bulk Foods offers a food grade type with a slightly larger granule size. Its the best substitute for Pickle Crisp. The Bulk Foods type has to be measured with about 10-25% more due to the larger granule size. If you do buy a quantity, be sure its kept in a dry place, like a sealed ball canning jar. It absorbs moisture and can become a liquid if exposed to dampness for too long. Odd thing is once it does liquify, it doesn't seem to evaporate. They use the liquid type to de-ice planes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk Foods CC

• bcskye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't sure whether it would be safe to use the Pickle Crisp I still had or not so now I know it wasn't due to a product defect and will use it. Thanks everyone, I knew I could depend on you.

• junelynn
    14 years ago

Ken,
    How much would you use in Linda Lou's Dill Pickle recipe?
    Thanks!

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The Ball Pickle Crisp photo is located in another post about this product. According to the Ball package, they use 1.5 teaspoons per quart and 3/4 teaspoon per pint. Because of the larger granule size of the Bulk Foods CC, I recommend 2 teaspoons per quart and 1 teaspoon per pint jar of pickles. I add it just prior to filling each jar with the brine. But it can also be added at the top of the packed cukes just before they get the boiling brine added. In that step, you do hear a fizzing noise when the acid comes in contact with the alkali CC. In that same thread of the Ball PC photo, it also can be used in place of a lime presoak.

• junelynn
    14 years ago

Thanks Ken, I have learned so much from you. I love your details and research-based and history-based info you provide. It educates all of us.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Link to orginal PC photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball pickle crisp instructions photo.

• gardnpondr
    14 years ago

Yes me to ditto on what June said. I also enjoy Linda Lou's as well. I've never tired this stuff but want to order some of it because after reading about the alum I'm a little worried about using it now. BUT then again they may come back later saying it is ok, you never know. lol Remember all that a few years ago about the eggs being sooooo bad for you with the cholestrol and then later they said they're not so bad? Anyway I'm going to get me some of this I think.
    Wonder how long it will last if you keep it dry in the jars?

• billb_gardener
    14 years ago

I just ordered some calcium chlorate from Bulk Foods. I'll let you know when I get it. We'll see how this works. It looks like the only way to get this stuff.
    Bill

• billb_gardener
    14 years ago

I meant calcium chlorIDE, the active ingredient in Pickle Crisp. Anyway, when I receive I'll let you know how it works and how to get it.
    Bill

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

If you do get the CC, make sure its 'food grade', as in the case from Bulk Foods.

• doomedjest
    14 years ago

Another option for members other than Bulk foods. Would be to check your local homebrew supply store. Not real sure why I didn't think of it before! Obviously, since it is for use in a beverage it is a food grade. Anyway here's an example:

Hope this helps someone!
    Bryan

Here is a link that might be useful: Brewing Calcium Chloride

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Only problem with that is it comes in 'flakes' which are even larger particals than the Bulk Foods granulated type. Would be more difficult to calculate the amount needed and would require actual gram weights of the original Ball Pickle Crisp, and the BF CC, then your source to figure out how much could be measured per jar.

• doomedjest
    14 years ago

Ken,

Actually the calcium chloride comes as the granulated type. I use it all the time in the brewery. As you mentioned before in another post it picks up water from the air (hydroscopic) if it was in flake form the surface area would be higher and would need less expossure time to turn to a liquid. Just trying to give others more options.

Bryan

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The beer wine supplier I use has only the flake version. Its measurement must be weighed instead of using a teaspoon. Sure more options are OK, but because I only see a flaked version elsewhere, I felt it necessary to advise anyone wanting to use that as opposed to the gramulated BF product to be sure that they know the actual weight of Ball Pickle Crisp per half teaspoon, vs. a similar product like a larger granule or flake of CC from other sources. Its also important to measure pickling salt differently if using Kosher salt as a substitute due to his larger granule size. The flakes are quite large, like at least 1/8 inch.

Here is a link that might be useful: CC in FLAKE form

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County