Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genethenewguy

Pots and Pans Question

GeneTheNewGuy
11 years ago

OK the New Guy, me, the Canning and Preserving Rookie, has another silly question.

Does it matter what kind of pots and pans I use? Someone was telling me not to use aluminum pots and pans because they will make the foods taste funny. I'm new to canning and preserving but I've been cooking with aluminum pots and pans for many years.

If not, then what should I use?

Thank you all.

Gene

Comments (4)

• malna
    11 years ago

All of my canning pots and utensils are stainless steel. Tomatoes react with aluminum and can become bitter (supposedly they absorb a lot of aluminum from the pot as well).

Note: If you have a pressure canner, they will be made of aluminum, because they are not in direct contact with the food.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Aside from the concerns many have about aluminum contamination of foods when cooking, aluminum pans aren't recommended when canning. Many of the acid foods and extra ingredients one uses in canning can react with the aluminum. That leads to pitting in the pans, darkening of the foods (especially notable in pickled foods and canned fruits), and then metallic taste changes during shelf storage.

It is different than cooking in them because the food is in contact for longer periods of time and then stored on the shelves for long periods so off flavors have longer to develop.

Try to avoid using aluminum pans when preparing foods to be canned.

If no one has linked you to NCHFP yet, I posted it below. It is the recognized authority in home canning and covers all the basics as well as provides recipes and how-to instructions. Be sure to check out all the FAQs there.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• GeneTheNewGuy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thanks for your answers, I learned something here about aluminum.

I have a dutch oven type pot, very similar to Le Crueset but a different brand, it has what I think is called enamel interior. I assume this would be fine to do tomatoes and pretty much everything getting ready to can it. I have another pot that has the same type of material.

I will start using those unless I hear something different.

Thank you to all, you are appreciated.
    Gene the new guy.

• malna
    11 years ago

Yep, the enamel lined pots are fine.

Have fun canning!