Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Questions for those with an inground root cellar? Ideas please..

dirtslinger2
14 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently building a house, and the lay of the land (on a slight rise) allows for a inground cellar. I am reading the Bubel book, but need even more real life ideas as it isn't actually all that ideal of a situation.

(1)The north side of home is both facing the road (would not want cellar to be visible) as well the septic is going out that way, a serious conflict. I may be able to move the septic yet, but that would end up close to the pond or my veggies/orchard... quite a compromise!

East side (2nd best)is furthest from any doors (difficult winter access). Shovelling about 20' of snow on grass, plus a flight of stairs that gets 1/2 the roof snowload dumped on them will get old fast.

West side is 2 car garage.

The south (full sun) there is all the space in the world.

Builder suggest In the SW corner where it will be mainly shaded by decking, but the spring/fall sun is likely low enough to reach under there. Deck is on the second floor.

If it (solid concrete) is a foot deep below the soil level, will the full sun location be bufferred enough to work well? Winter averages quite cold, almost always below freezing and the ground is solid late Nov to late Feb. I want apples to keep until May/June or even better, if possible.

This a significant expense that naturally is going to need to work. Imagine all that $$/work, and it ends up a steamy mess...

(2)And plan is 8'x8' or 8'x10'. I plan to store veggies and orchard fruit. I gather you need to keep them both separate and the plan is to have a room 'within' the cellar for that.

But aprox what percentage should the room be? And what deserves more space, veggies/roots or fruit? That's personal I know, but I haven't a clue. I'm a bachelor and simply planning for the future!!

Any other tips, ideas, or even pics would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)