Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemadecountrylife

Pickled Peaches

I canned some Pickled Peaches this past Sunday. I loved the brine when it was cooking, but the vinegar solution seemed very heavy on the ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) flavor that I should have expected, but thought that the White Vinegar would balance that out. The recipe called for equal parts White & AC Vinegar (both 1 1/2 Cups each). But after I had a few of the left over peaches from the batch, they tasted pretty vinegary and not very tasty. My Mother and I talked about it and think that just like pickles, they need a few weeks. Have any of you made pickled peaches and if so, do you find that they need a few weeks to marry the flavors?

Here is the recipe ingredients I used:

24 small peaches, peeled

3 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1 tablespoon brown mustard seed

3â section of ginger peeled and thinly sliced

4 cinnamon sticks

12 cloves

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Pickled peaches is a regular for us but we sure don't use that recipe. What is its source? We use the BBB recipe which calls for more vinegar, more sugar, and no mustard seed. I don't think I'd care for the mustard seed in them at all. And we use all cider vinegar since it is more mellow than white.

But yes, they most definitely need weeks to mellow out.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was an internet recipe that sounded spicy, and since I love a "warm" spice on my peaches I thought it might taste good. I am on the fence about the mustard seed. It does and doesn't have a flavor, but since the flavors haven't settled down I can't tell what is wrong. I think it's the vinegars, but I'm still trying to read that one out.

I do not have the recent BBB yet. I have one from about 2005 and I'm sure most of the methods are the same, I'd love to find a more recent book. I'll go look for it and see if it has pickled peaches in it.
    What is your pickled peaches recipe? I'm looking for a nice warm spiced pickled peach recipe. I had one once but didn't ask for the recipe (what a shame).

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found my BBB book and in their Pickled Peaches recipe, they are asking for 1 Quart of vinegar (white, I'd assume), but doesn't that seem like a lot of vinegar?
    I was also wondering, is ACV and regular vinegar interchangeable in a canning recipe, as long as they are 5% acidity? Digdirt said everyone uses ACV because it's milder, so could I just use all ACV, if I found a recipe that called for regular or a mix of vinegars, like my recipe called for?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

1 Quart of vinegar (white, I'd assume), but doesn't that seem like a lot of vinegar?

It is only 1 cup more than your recipe but with many more peaches than in your recipe. Plus the BBB recipe has more sugar.

All vinegars are interchangeable in any recipe as long as they meet the minimum requirement of 5%. Both white vinegar and cider vinegar are 5% assuming you buy a name brand. Many of the cheaper brands are not 5%. Red wine vinegar is another option as is balsamic vinegar.

I didn't say everyone uses cider, just that we do in our house. The choice is up to the individual depending on the taste they prefer and taste is a personal thing.

Cider vinegar has a more mellow (not milder) flavor than white which is a sharp edged taste that many don't care for in some recipes. But it will also change the color so each person has to choose between the taste and the color they want.

so could I just use all ACV, if I found a recipe that called for regular or a mix of vinegars, like my recipe called for?

Sure. You can mix and match or only use one kind as you choose. All you have to do is keep the same total amount called for in the recipe.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, for all your info and help, Sir, I really appreciate that, but I do have one more quick question. When it comes to spices in canning recipes can I add or omit within reason? As in the case of the mustard seeds in my PP recipe, could I have omitted them completely and added more ginger root, cloves, or cinnamon instead? I don't want to change ph balances and such. Canning like baking, is a precise science and I don't want to go adding and subtracting things willy-nilly and make my family sick.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

As long as you stick with dried, not fresh, herbs and spices you can add or leave out as you wish. Fresh will change the pH, dried do not.

The only caution we usually give is to let you know that some will really get intense while stored on the shelf so while it may taste just right as it goes into the jar, it may be horrible 6 months from now. So don't get carried away. :) It's best to go easy when making and then, after you open the jar you can always add more.

Ok?

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wondered about dried verses fresh herbs and flavorings. I never thought of the intensity of the flavors after sitting for a few weeks, that's a great observation. Now I see why they say to let pickles sit for a few weeks. Thank you!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals