Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Canning Guacamole?

bcskye
16 years ago

Could this guacamole recipe (from a May 2006 Gardenweb forum) be canned?

GUACAMOLE

2 Hass avocados

Half of a small onion

2 cloves garlic

Salt, kosher or sea salt if possible (large crystals)

1 plum tomato, finely chopped

About 2 T fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Juice of half a lime

½ to 1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped

Chop the onion finely and let soak in cold water about 10 minutes. In the meantime, finely chop the garlic and then combine with the salt on cutting board. Using the back of a large knife, mash the garlic into the salt crystals until the whole thing is soft and pastey with some garlic chunks remaining. Drain the onion bits well. Add the garlic/salt mixure to the onion bits and combine well. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise down to the pit. Twist the halves to open them up. Remove pit with a sharp knife. Cut the avocado flesh with a sharp knife while still in the skin. Make 3 or 4 cuts in one direction down to the skin. Repeat in the other direction to make a grid of cuts in the flesh. Using a spoon, dig the cubes of flesh out from the skin and add to onion/garlic/salt mixture. Add lime juice and stir all ingredients together well. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and then into quarters. Remove all the soft flesh and seeds with a sharp knife, leaving only the firm rind and skin. Chop finely and add to mixture. Chop the fresh cilantro (leaves only) and toss into mixture. Chop the jalapeno and add that. Stir all together well. Can be served immediately at room temperature or chilled a bit.

Leave it chunky...don't put through food processor. Sorry if the explanations are too lengthy...I gave this to my dad who has zero cooking experience.

If not, does anyone have a recipe for it that you could can? I've always loved it and recently started eating Ortega's guacamole which is canned in a glass jar. Like it too much for the price so would like to be able to can my own if possible.

Comments (14)

• gladgrowing
    16 years ago

As one who has made and eaten a ton of guac, made different ways - the thought of it canned is pretty unappealing. With avocados, there sure isn't anything like fresh. A friend has frozen it in the past, with ascorbic acid to keep color right, but it isn't like what we looked for in Guacamole.
    I will be interested to hear what others suggest.
    Glad

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Avocados are 6.27-6.58 pH which is way over for water bath canning. And my guess is either water bath or pressure canning would be destructive. Neither option is very appealing in terms of food quality.

You could try freezing with some added acid to protect the color. The avocado commission recommends freezing puréed avocado pulp mixed with 1 T. lemon juice per 2 avocados. Freeze with 1" headspace up to 4-5 months.

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, it will darken. Adding something like lime juice as an acidifier will help, as will ascorbic acid for the color retention.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Blech! I can't imagine canning it either.
    Too easy to make fresh and not sacrifice the taste and texture.

I think some things are just meant to be enjoyed "in the moment".

Fresh strawberries... in the field.
    Sun-warmed heirloom tomatoes.
    Golden corn.
    Guacamole!

JMHO,
    Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

I do not know of any safe method to can it at home, it needs to be frozen.

• bcskye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Carol and Ken, for your tactful answers without being judgemental. I realized that the results no matter how you would do this, would not be as desirable as fresh, but I just wanted to see if anyone had come up with some solution for when avocados are out of season. Let face it, if people had not been curious and asked questions, a lot of the things we enjoy today would not be in existence.

Yes, I have also eaten a lot of fresh guacamole and agree that some things are just meant to be enjoyed "in the moment" - when that is possible, however, practicality points out that unless you are wealthy and can follow the sun or high prices at the markets, that's not always possible. I do not deprive myself throughout the year of the items I enjoy because I can't go out into the 2 feet of snow and pick ripe strawberries, or the sun-warmed heirloom tomatoes I also grow every year or the beautiful corn that tastes so good or many of the other items I grow. Mostly, I can them or freeze them or dry them so I can enjoy the products of my labors throughout the year and, if I do say so myself, they taste pretty good to me.

Lastly, take into consideration that some people are on fixed incomes like the monthly diabled Vietnam Veteran's pension we live on - and we are both veterans. You budget more strenuously and can't always pay the higher prices demanded for all the produce you haven't put up and that is out of season. Also, when given a chance to acquire a large amount of an enjoyed item, in this case avocados, you take the opportunity.

Again, thank you Carol and Ken. I always appreciate your input and your wisdom.

• bcskye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda Lou,

Thank you for your input as well. It was appreciated. I didn't see your post until after I responded to Carol and Ken. At that time I couldn't put on another post.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

there are quite a few Avocado soup recipes at this site:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/773/0.shtml

I would think you could make the soup (without cream if called for), freeze it is serving size and add the cream after thawing.

That would be a real treat in the winter

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

Another option - Trader Joe's carries a really pretty decent bag of frozen peeled, halved and pitted Haas avocados. I keep one in the freezer for sudden cravings or when there just aren't any good ones in the stores.

I thaw them in warm water for a few minutes, then blot dry with a paper towel (the instructions on the bag say to leave them in the refrigerator overnight, but I never seem to plan that far ahead :o) They come out nice and green and yellow, with a good ripe taste and texture.

The bag is reasonably priced - I just checked, but there is no price on my current bag. But definitely WAY less that buying individual fruits.

Susan

• bcskye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much kayskats and ilovepoco. Hadn't thought of doing up some soup. We're real soup nuts and I think I'd really like some of their recipes. HD, I'm not too sure, but will just give him some chili or veggie soup and he'll be happy. I'll be sure to bookmark that site.

We have a Trader Joe's somewhere between 70 and 75 miles north of us and the next time I visit my sister in that area, I'll have to pick up some of their frozen avocados. I'll also check to see if there is a Trader Joe's in Bloomington, IN. It is a lot, lot closer.

I appreciate the help all of you have given me.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Avacados around here are always available and show up in supermarkets all the time. Yes, Trader Joe's has a some interesting items at times. The only problem is they will sell out of a popular item and may never offer it again.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Avocados are always available here too, but we prefer the summer variety. Besides, in the winter we'd practically have to take out a second mortgage to buy them!

Sometimes Trader Joe's is out of a particular item, but when something is in stock their prices can hardly be beaten. I wouldn't be surprised if their frozen avocados are cheaper than what I pay for the whole avocados fresh.

I appreciate the mention. I hadn't noticed these before and will be sure to check next time I make the trek to the Big City. Also, thanks for the avocado link. We love them.

Carol

• kayskats
    16 years ago

"Besides, in the winter we'd practically have to take out a second mortgage to buy them!" (Carol)

Also, out of season, you just hope they'll ripen before going bad
    Kay

• jimster
    16 years ago

I love avocado, but I refuse to pay $1.50 for one. If NAFTA really worked, avocados would be priced the same as apples. So I seldom have them.

Check out the link to this avocado soup recipe. It's good.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado Soup (Sopa de Aguacate)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES